Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Why choosing a licensed child care program for my toddler / preschooler?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 7:32 PM
  • 3 Replies

Many parents have had to face at a point the dilema of what's the right child care program for their child.

As a professional in this matter I always suggest parents to look for a licensed child care program. Many people seem not to know the difference between choosing a licensed program or just having someone watch their child while they are at work.

The pros about choosing a licensed child care program are many, to mention some few:

- They are State regulated, which means that all individuals dewilling in that home must be finger printed, background checked, and TB tested at least.

- They must comply with the Food program, usually run by the Department of Education, in which all foods that are served must meet the nutricional guidelines.

- All reports, citations and deficiencies that may have been found in that program have become publicv records, and are available to all parents.

- Providers must meet the guidelines to have their home licensed, being their homes child safe, having smoke detectors, sprinkler systems in some cases, fire extinguishers, etc.

- Provider must keep up with his/her studies as an ongoing process, having a minimum of x hours a years towards classes and/or courses related to the Early Childhood Education.

These are just some of the facts why I strongly believe that a child should attend a licensed program. I am not saying that having a relative or a friend of the family watch one child at a time is wrong; however when we encounter people watching more than 2 children (outside their own) and have no level of accountability I think it's a serious thing.

What do you think about this?

Thanks in advance for your time and possible feedback.

by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 7:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

withsecond
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:06 PM

When I was working and had my oldest son in daycare, he went to a licensed in home daycare and then a center that was licensed. I knew they had regulations, I just didn't realize how many. I think it's a good thing. 

I'm a sahm now so I don't have to worry about it but it is good info to pass on. 

bree79001
by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Not all child care centers/homes are great. Unless they are  NAEYC accredited(National association for the education of young children) . To get this the daycare has to go beyond expectations. And have to meet requirements to get accredited. It's a long process for them and a lot of hard work and devotion, but when you see that they are NAEYC accredited you know its a great center.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)