Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

This is what my bank did to me...I think it is pretty messed up.

Posted by   + Show Post

02/19/2014   Insufficient Funds Fee

$105.00  

$94.68

02/19/2014   ATM Cash       $60.00       $199.68

02/19/2014   DBT Purchase       $23.40       $259.68

02/19/2014   DBT Purchase       $3.18       $283.08

02/19/2014   DBT Purchase       $9.52       $286.26

02/19/2014   DBT Purchase       $15.09       $295.78

02/19/2014   Online Transfer      $1.00  

$310.87

02/19/2014   Deposit      $70.00  

$309.87

02/18/2014   Foreign ATM or POS Fee       $3.00       $239.87

02/18/2014   Foreign ATM or POS Fee       $3.00       $242.87

02/18/2014   Preauthorized Debit       $12.00       $245.87

02/18/2014   Check      $69.00       $257.87

02/18/2014   Check       $131.00       $326.87

02/18/2014   DBT Purchase       $4.53       $457.87

02/18/2014   ATM Cash       $41.99       $462.40

02/18/2014   ATM Cash       $61.99       $504.39

02/18/2014   DBT Purchase       $3.18       $566.38

02/18/2014   Direct Deposit       
$46.71  
$569.56

02/18/2014   Deposit           $400.00   $522.85

02/14/2014   Foreign ATM or POS Fee       $3.00       $122.85

02/14/2014   Foreign ATM or POS Fee       $3.00       $125.85

02/14/2014   Foreign ATM or POS Fee       $3.00       $128.85

by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 7:41 PM
Replies (31-40):
ABCMomma0211
by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Pending/on hold is not having funds. 

Thank god my bank does avaivable money, and current money......i never look at the current, always look at the avaiable.

shortyali
by Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 4:39 AM
I have worked for 2 big banks. I have yet to find a bank that posts debits first, so I don't believe that. Also that is why when you make a deposit you read the receipt. It is mandatory to put on the receipt if there is a hold and when it will be released. Even before I worked for banks I thought it was common sense that if you use an arm that isn't your banks you will be charged on both ends for it.
Looking at what you posted, unless they held all of that $400 deposit (which is possible depending on your history with the bank and what bank the check was drawn from), I only see where there should have been 2 fees. Did they explain what caused all 3.
As for going into the branch, I wouldn't waste your time really. Most of the time the tellers hate to have conflict so they tell you to call the 800 number. Then once you do the person on the phone gets the brunt of all of your anger. Most banks have policies in place that you can only get X number of fees refunded in a rolling 12 month period. So yes the phone person will bring up a refund you had last year and if it was due to bank error and the person refunding didn't note that then there really isn't a way to go back and see why.
Banks are like any business. They have to make a profit somewhere, interest rates alone on loans don't cut it. So they charge fees for everything. You as a consumer need to know those fees and the many ways to avoid them. It sucks but it's your money so look into those.
waytomanykids10
by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 5:11 AM
This is why I only use my checking account for bills that need to he sent in the mail. Everything else is paid in cash.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilmom71
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:37 AM

I have the receipt and it shows that I have an available balance of 45.87.  When I looked on my account my beacon journal fee had already went through. That 46.71 was already there when I deposited the check. They changed it around as if the biggest check went through first.

Quoting shortyali: I have worked for 2 big banks. I have yet to find a bank that posts debits first, so I don't believe that. Also that is why when you make a deposit you read the receipt. It is mandatory to put on the receipt if there is a hold and when it will be released. Even before I worked for banks I thought it was common sense that if you use an arm that isn't your banks you will be charged on both ends for it.
Looking at what you posted, unless they held all of that $400 deposit (which is possible depending on your history with the bank and what bank the check was drawn from), I only see where there should have been 2 fees. Did they explain what caused all 3.
As for going into the branch, I wouldn't waste your time really. Most of the time the tellers hate to have conflict so they tell you to call the 800 number. Then once you do the person on the phone gets the brunt of all of your anger. Most banks have policies in place that you can only get X number of fees refunded in a rolling 12 month period. So yes the phone person will bring up a refund you had last year and if it was due to bank error and the person refunding didn't note that then there really isn't a way to go back and see why.
Banks are like any business. They have to make a profit somewhere, interest rates alone on loans don't cut it. So they charge fees for everything. You as a consumer need to know those fees and the many ways to avoid them. It sucks but it's your money so look into those.

wiener
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:44 AM
This is why I don't go to a bank anymore. Wells Fargo is the worst and I can't wait till the company goes under. We now bank at a credit union were we are rewarded for banking with them. We don't have ATM fees and we have something called a line of credit just in case we happen to withdrawal more then what available. And theres no fee for that. Deposits always get posted first before the debits. See credits unions are not for profit like big banks are.
shortyali
by Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:53 AM
Most banks post deposits largest to smallest. It doesn't change what your balance was. So on your receipt it said you had $45.87 avail and you still overspent. That's not the banks fault, that's yours.

Quoting lilmom71:

I have the receipt and it shows that I have an available balance of 45.87.  When I looked on my account my beacon journal fee had already went through. That 46.71 was already there when I deposited the check. They changed it around as if the biggest check went through first.

Quoting shortyali: I have worked for 2 big banks. I have yet to find a bank that posts debits first, so I don't believe that. Also that is why when you make a deposit you read the receipt. It is mandatory to put on the receipt if there is a hold and when it will be released. Even before I worked for banks I thought it was common sense that if you use an arm that isn't your banks you will be charged on both ends for it.

The.Devil
by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 7:14 AM
What bank do you use? Mine did the something last week.DH's check was $1700, we spent maybe $500 and by payday this week we had about $300 in overdraft charges.

We use bank of america,this happened last year at a different bank but it was a lot less money.
ljmom24
by Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 7:25 AM
My bank will post transactions by size largest to smallest. Also all transactions after 2 on a Friday through Monday morning all get posted on Monday biggest to smallest. That's what the class action suit was about. It can cause more fees. You might have had enough for some smaller debits and only been overdraw. One large one when they post the big one first you often end up with more smaller owns over drawn. My back still does it even though courts ruled against it. They say because now they post it.

I had an issue with funds on hold. If you have Peapod in your area be careful they charge you twice. They place funds for your order on hold once it's placed then they are supposed to remove it when they place the actual order through but they claim bank didn't remove and bank claims Peapod didn't request and I had a double charge for sane thing and mortgage and school tuition came out too. Ended up with $110 in fees but they did waive it. Course had to speak to a supervisor first.
lilmom71
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 7:32 AM

The beacon journal had went through already before I made the deposit. If there had not been a holiday I would of been able to deposit the check on monday.  At my bank even if you deposit it through the atm it takes longer than if you went first thing in the morning.  Yes its my fault for taking out to much but its not like I waited a week before I tried to correct it.  Those checks had not gone through until after midnight on  the 18th. I know for a fact that at most there should of only been two fees.  I had scheduled the 131.00 to be taken out the 18th I would of called them and asked them to wait another day if I knew my bank was going to do that.

Quoting shortyali: Most banks post deposits largest to smallest. It doesn't change what your balance was. So on your receipt it said you had $45.87 avail and you still overspent. That's not the banks fault, that's yours.

Quoting lilmom71:

spitfire06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol that's how I read it on my account to LOL

Quoting SnapIt: Im lauging at the POS fee

Im reading it as piece of shit fee
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)