Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Most expensive rent int he country!

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:44 PM
  • 17 Replies

I moved to be closer to my husband and to stop paying two house payments and good lord! I live where it is more expensive then hawaii, new york, and anywhere in California.... Williston, ND. 2 bed 2 bath apartment 5 people, 2890 a month!!!! I have to keep reminding myself I did this to be closer to my husband! Any other mama's out there with husbands in the oil fields???

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/19/5425040/williston-north-dakota-most-expensive-place-to-rent-in-us

by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:17 PM

I hope that you and your family do not become part of the homeless statistic.   That is crazy how prices are inflated there since it is an oil town.  I would have chosen a town over or something so that you are close but not paying through the nose for an apartment.

pinklovesnore
by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:19 PM
The majority of my family lives in Bismarck ND, I moved when I was younger to the east coast, my cousins husband works in the oil fields, and I know he gets paid well for the work. And I believe she only pays 450.00 a mo for a 3br 2 ba house. Which if I found that deal out here I would poop bricks! Housing isn't cheap in the poconos either, it's more of a place for people who retire, own vacation houses, or just come for vacation. And I've been looking into 3 bedrooms in the area for my growing family and were looking at a minimum of 1500.00 monthly in a gated community plus annual dues close to 250.00, though not as expensive as you. I just hope you got some good perks to being in that area.
little.worthen
by Tess on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Holy crap

anfisasmommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:25 PM

The homeless statisticsseem to be those who do not work inthe oil field, that is about the only way to affordthe prices in the oil area. Bismarck, and Fargo are wayyyyyy cheaper! Only the west side is expensive. But the housing has all of us trapped you pay the high prices or no where to live!

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:25 PM

I have only gone to camp in the poconos but that area is nice.

Quoting pinklovesnore: The majority of my family lives in Bismarck ND, I moved when I was younger to the east coast, my cousins husband works in the oil fields, and I know he gets paid well for the work. And I believe she only pays 450.00 a mo for a 3br 2 ba house. Which if I found that deal out here I would poop bricks! Housing isn't cheap in the poconos either, it's more of a place for people who retire, own vacation houses, or just come for vacation. And I've been looking into 3 bedrooms in the area for my growing family and were looking at a minimum of 1500.00 monthly in a gated community plus annual dues close to 250.00, though not as expensive as you. I just hope you got some good perks to being in that area.

anfisasmommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Sorry my space bar is going out on my computer.

poietes
by Laura on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:28 PM
Yup, that is where fast food workers are actually getting $15 an hour. My hometown us a mile from the ND border and even northern sd us seeing differences. Hope you like it.
justinnaimee
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:29 PM
My hubby is in oil. We lived in a boom town in Utah for a while but we're currently in Texas. Had some friendswork in ND too but they commuted and lived in man camps while on llocation.
anfisasmommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:30 PM

I have seen taco bell advertising 18 an hour!

anfisasmommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:32 PM

My husband did live in a man camp, but paying two house payments was not worth not seeing eachother, cause they still have to pay to live there it is just automatically taken out of their pay.

Quoting justinnaimee: My hubby is in oil. We lived in a boom town in Utah for a while but we're currently in Texas. Had some friendswork in ND too but they commuted and lived in man camps while on llocation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN