Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Am I a bad mom and aunt for not attending my nephew party.

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2014 at 12:30 PM
  • 12 Replies

So long story short , I have a daughter she just turned the big 1 Feb.1 , and now my nephew is having a party which is today , i bought him a gift for his birthday and gave it to him yesterday. However today is the party and I don't want too attend due too circumstances that i have with some family members my sister had invited . If i go I'm going too feel awkward and I don't like putting myself in situations like that. I feel bad because my sister came to my daughter party but I don't feel comfortable going to my nephews. I feel bad because i feel like I'm a bad mom too my daughter by not letting her go ? What should I do any advice plz???

by on Feb. 22, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Feb. 22, 2014 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I get that you might be uncomfortable, but today is about your nephew. I'd probably suck it up and go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
withsecond
by on Feb. 22, 2014 at 1:10 PM
Same here.

Quoting beadingmom17: I get that you might be uncomfortable, but today is about your nephew. I'd probably suck it up and go.
neisha95
by New Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I'M not going but thanks for the advice anyway.

Godgaveme4
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I would go. It is not about me and my feelings but rather about celebrating my nephew!

And I have relatives that I would rather not spend time with, but there are usually more than enough people to talk to during the party.
ShesALady
by on Feb. 22, 2014 at 1:42 PM
Take him out the next day and do something special. Go get ice cream sundae's
wickedfunmom
by on Feb. 22, 2014 at 1:56 PM

I would go. Any issue you may have with other adult family members should not come between you attending your nephews birthday party. It has nothing to do with the kids, no need to punish them. 

littlepinkrose
by Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I also have a nephew and relatives that are not my favorite occasionally come to his party.  Sometimes they are on vacation (he has a summer birthday) so they have not been there but they try and make it.  I have always gone and if I did not I know that he would be hurt and ask why auntie and uncle Paul where not there.  I would not want to lie and also I would not want to sound petty by saying that I don't like so and so.  

Your not a bad mom but you are setting the example that when you don't like someone just avoid them at all cost even family, instead of just trying to get along for the sake of another family member.  You can avoid people you don't like but it does not always make it right.  I am sure there will be more people to talk to then the family members you do not like.

Do you dislike all your family or only a certain person?  We all have people we would rather not be around or situations that make us uncomfortable and you either avoid it or deal with it.  The best is to deal because it not only helps you but it would be helpful to your daughter to learn how to cope with being around people she may not like in the future.

What are you going to tell her when she gets older?  Sorry, I am not going because I don't like so and so.  I just don't think it is right.

littlecheifsmom
by Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 2:21 PM
I'd still go. Its about the kids not the adults.
There's nothing that would get in my way of my niece anything
happymia
by Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 2:23 PM
I would never miss my nephew's birthdays, all 15 of them.There's family they're at every faparty that i don't care for, but it's one day. I'm very close to all my nephews though.
nikki4eva88
by Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 2:28 PM
Agreed

Quoting beadingmom17: I get that you might be uncomfortable, but today is about your nephew. I'd probably suck it up and go.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)