Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What do you think about AZ businesses being able to discriminate against GLBT customers?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 12:56 PM
  • 56 Replies
2 moms liked this

I'm not GLBT, but I am an ally and I'm really angry thinking about people that I care for who might be told to leave a business because of their "lifestyle".

What do you think?  I know businesses have a right to refuse service, but really?  Next thing you know they'll be telling Jewish people or women in general that they aren't allowed.  

by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Feb. 23, 2014 at 1:46 PM
I'm bias so I can't really answer this question! LOL
starreyedcutie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 1:53 PM
9 moms liked this
I think like you said everyone has rights and a business can refuse service to anyone they choose. It works both ways. If glbt people have the rights to live how they want so do people that dont agree with them. Fo. Instance i have a second amendment right to conceal carry my pistol in a TON of places...HOWEVER if i am asked to leave by a store owner/manager where i go because they see my pistol and are uncomfortable i have to leave.
caterpilar
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 1:55 PM
2 moms liked this
I am considering moving to another state.
RitaTequila531
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 1:57 PM
Exactly

Quoting starreyedcutie: I think like you said everyone has rights and a business can refuse service to anyone they choose. It works both ways. If glbt people have the rights to live how they want so do people that dont agree with them. Fo. Instance i have a second amendment right to conceal carry my pistol in a TON of places...HOWEVER if i am asked to leave by a store owner/manager where i go because they see my pistol and are uncomfortable i have to leave.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyMarie80
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 1:58 PM
I don't agree with how it was done, but I get why it was proposed to begin with- i live in WA, and last year when we voted to switch from civil unions to same sex marriages, there were supposed to be protections built in that would keep wedding venues and vendors from being forced to participate (for example, a same sex couple couldn't sue a church for refusing to perform their wedding ceremony when it's against the church doctrine to do so). However, both a flower shop and a bakery have now been successfully sued because they, as wedding vendors, did not want to participate in a same sex wedding ceremony. The Arizona law was an attempt to make sure that wedding vendors there were protected from those lawsuits, at least that's how it started. I haven't read it, but it sounds like they've expanded the scope - either that or people opposed to it are exaggerating the scope.
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 2:05 AM

I believe the wording is any business owner can refuse service based on any religious belief.... meaning it doesn't just apply to gay or lesbian vs christian. it could protect say a muslim who doesn't want to serve a christian or vise versa... the basic gist is the same a person can not be sued for refusing to support something they don't believe in whatever their beliefs.

Quoting TiffanyMarie80: I don't agree with how it was done, but I get why it was proposed to begin with- i live in WA, and last year when we voted to switch from civil unions to same sex marriages, there were supposed to be protections built in that would keep wedding venues and vendors from being forced to participate (for example, a same sex couple couldn't sue a church for refusing to perform their wedding ceremony when it's against the church doctrine to do so). However, both a flower shop and a bakery have now been successfully sued because they, as wedding vendors, did not want to participate in a same sex wedding ceremony. The Arizona law was an attempt to make sure that wedding vendors there were protected from those lawsuits, at least that's how it started. I haven't read it, but it sounds like they've expanded the scope - either that or people opposed to it are exaggerating the scope.

slashteddy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 2:12 AM
5 moms liked this
It's absolutely disgusting, imo.

I could understand possibly allowing churches to pick and choose which marriages they perform, as they are a church and not a business. They can already evict people from their congregation.

I absolutely do not agree with allowing businesses to do so. This law opens the door to denying gender and sexual minorities food and/or shelter.

When you open a business, you are already subjected to laws and regulations. You are required to serve the general public no matter your beliefs (barring, of course, violent or rowdy customers, things like that). If you do not want to perform your service or do business with select groups of people, do not open a business.

People do not have the right to operate a business; that is a privilege. Being treated like an equal citizen is not a privilege, it is a right.

It's that damn simple.
starreyedcutie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:12 AM
4 moms liked this
Yes equal rights as in one persons rights is not more important than another persons. Its YOUR business nobody can force you to support what you dont believe in. This is America where opprotunity can be endless just like glbt are fighting for their rights they forget that everyone has rights as well. You cant force a church to marry anyone...you cant force a buisness to serve you. Myabe if the glbt people would stop suing everyone that doesnt agree with them they woulndt have had to pass this law. How about find a company that supports your beliefs...its that simple.

Quoting slashteddy: It's absolutely disgusting, imo.

I could understand possibly allowing churches to pick and choose which marriages they perform, as they are a church and not a business. They can already evict people from their congregation.

I absolutely do not agree with allowing businesses to do so. This law opens the door to denying gender and sexual minorities food and/or shelter.

When you open a business, you are already subjected to laws and regulations. You are required to serve the general public no matter your beliefs (barring, of course, violent or rowdy customers, things like that). If you do not want to perform your service or do business with select groups of people, do not open a business.

People do not have the right to operate a business; that is a privilege. Being treated like an equal citizen is not a privilege, it is a right.

It's that damn simple.
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:25 AM
This sort of came up in another forum yesterday...not looking to start a fight, just a discussion...this law wants to let businesses discriminate against gays. Gays, as people, have the same rights as the rest of us (taking marriage out of the picture) and are allowed to shop anywhere. What if the state next decides to infringe on your rightds as a gun owner? What if they choose to make AZ (or any state) a state where you can own a gun but aren't allowed to take it outside of your home because they think your right to carry is wrong?

Of course it won't happen but why should anyone's rights be taken away? Do we really want to go back to segregation? What gives one group the right to dictate how another should live or be treated?

Quoting starreyedcutie: I think like you said everyone has rights and a business can refuse service to anyone they choose. It works both ways. If glbt people have the rights to live how they want so do people that dont agree with them. Fo. Instance i have a second amendment right to conceal carry my pistol in a TON of places...HOWEVER if i am asked to leave by a store owner/manager where i go because they see my pistol and are uncomfortable i have to leave.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starreyedcutie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this
As a gun owner as i stated in a previous poat i CAN be told to leave if my guns make people uncomfortable. Even tho i have a permit to do so. Does that mean i go around suing everyone that wont let me carry a gun...trust me with a good lawyer its possible. NO. I RESPECT other peoples rights. Which is why i cant believe that people actually think you can force people to agree with your lifestyle. Its not gonna happen. Everyone isnt going to come to a magical agreement over night that everyone loves everyone. However if i was asked to leave a store because of my lifestyle i would go to another store that supports my beliefs (which i do anyways). Yes you have a right to believe what you want and do what you want but the people that dont agree with you have rights too.

Quoting coolmommy2x: This sort of came up in another forum yesterday...not looking to start a fight, just a discussion...this law wants to let businesses discriminate against gays. Gays, as people, have the same rights as the rest of us (taking marriage out of the picture) and are allowed to shop anywhere. What if the state next decides to infringe on your rightds as a gun owner? What if they choose to make AZ (or any state) a state where you can own a gun but aren't allowed to take it outside of your home because they think your right to carry is wrong?

Of course it won't happen but why should anyone's rights be taken away? Do we really want to go back to segregation? What gives one group the right to dictate how another should live or be treated?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)