Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

4 year old in kindergarten?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 1:17 PM
  • 26 Replies
My son will 4 in April. He passed the kindergarten early admit exam. He has not been to preschool or daycare. He does do a lot of play groups. Kindergarten here norm dont start till 6. Would you send him to preschool or daycare next year?
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 1:41 PM
I would. If its.to overwhelming for him can always tell them never mind. But heay enjoy it. If he has the opportunity, Ivsay do it! :)
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Feb. 23, 2014 at 1:43 PM
It depends on his maturity level?! Kindergartners start at 6yo? Usually its 5. Well thats when my kids started.
anoncalypse
by Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 1:45 PM

my dd is 4 and will be wheen she starts kinder in aug....  but she turns 5 in september.  i say send him to kinder.  if it doesnt work out hell just have an extra year of kinder

StreetsAhead
by Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Yes but then kids start school at 4 here so I would say yes

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I was 4 when I started K. Loved it! (well, from what I remember, been many moons ago!)

NDADanceMom
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't. I've never seen that end up well in 20 years of teaching. Your kid might be bright but there are other bright kids that have a year or more on yours.
jjchick75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I taught kindergarten for 10 years and I would never send a 4 year old to kindergarten. They just aren't ready at 4. I'd send your child to preschool and start kindergarten the next year.
aj23
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:38 PM
I wouldn't send a 4 year old to kindergarten. Most places wouldn't even consider allowing it.
Its a lot tougher than it used to be and you have to consider what the future will be like too. Do you think your son will be okay being in high school with peers that are two or 3 years older in most classes?
My son is repeating kindergarten this year. He will be 7 in May and he's the same age as most kids in his class. I didn't find out until the end of last year when he was 5 that most of his class was 6 and 7 already. He did okay but he struggled with keeping up with the class.
There's so many factors to consider and only you know what's best for your child but preschool sounds like your best option.
mcginnisc
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this
The maturity level of a 4 year old is much different than a child that will turn 6 while in Kindergarten. A 4 year old that has never had formal schooling and put into a classroom with other children that have is going to be a distraction IMO. He will not have learned how to sit quietly for hours,walk in a line,etc...it is also quite a shock to go from no school experience at all to being thrust into 6.5 hours of school at that age.
withsecond
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 4:19 PM
Where I live, they can't even go to Kindergarten until they're 5.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)