Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

help! I am struggling with this! moms with adhd kids please read

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:57 AM
  • 4 Replies
My seven year old is very smart but has been struggling with behavior and attention issues for some time. Took him for a second opinion yesterday after the school.conseler said he might have adhd. I feel it often over diagnised and very misdiagnosed. I have bipolar and went through all that myself so I know what its like. Anyways the dr was very nice and professional. She said he is classic adhd with bipolar redundancies. Since he is so young she is going to try adhd medication and monitor to see if it advances into bipolar as he gets oldee. He is starting concentra tomorrow. Because if my own.struggles with medication and mental ilness this has been a battle for.me. I don't like the idea if my child being on meds. But I am willing to try and see if it helps him. Anyone have experience with concentra? I am still struggling with this diagnosis and need support
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
StephanieJay
by New Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:05 AM
I Know ADHD and bipolar disorder do go hand in hand. I am studying to teach special education and elementary education. With ADHD it may be best to start him in a low dose ADHD medication. It usually takes up to a month to see the effects. Maybe it will help and provide a much better learning experience at school which will benefit him. If you're uncomfortable then he can switch or talk to your dr and let them know you're not ok with the medication. But I do think he may need help so that he doesn't fall behind in school.

Don't be discouraged! This is very common and the two go hand in hand. More common than you think. With guidance he will strive.. No doubt about that!

Quoting JrsMommy07: My seven year old is very smart but has been struggling with behavior and attention issues for some time. Took him for a second opinion yesterday after the school.conseler said he might have adhd. I feel it often over diagnised and very misdiagnosed. I have bipolar and went through all that myself so I know what its like. Anyways the dr was very nice and professional. She said he is classic adhd with bipolar redundancies. Since he is so young she is going to try adhd medication and monitor to see if it advances into bipolar as he gets oldee. He is starting concentra tomorrow. Because if my own.struggles with medication and mental ilness this has been a battle for.me. I don't like the idea if my child being on meds. But I am willing to try and see if it helps him. Anyone have experience with concentra? I am still struggling with this diagnosis and need support
withsecond
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Concerta worked amazingly for my son for years. We had to tweak dosages until it was right but it's good because it doesn't have to build up in his system and it has the least side effects.
JrsMommy07
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 6:27 AM
Bump
ljmom24
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:58 AM
My oldest has ADHD. Like you my dh feels it's over diagnosed so we waited probably a bit too long to start medication. Imagine trying to comprend something with a zillion other things going through your head. That's what an ADHD kid faces. Things get missed. When we finally started the medication he had a catch period when things classmates picked up a year
Ago he was just now focused enough to have it click.

We take concerta he is up to 27mg started on a very low dose and got immediate results. It does curb his appitete and can make him mello so we only medicate for school. If you are really feeling it might now be add, try giving him caffeine see what his reaction is. ADHD is a chemical imbalance issue a true add/ADHD kid is going to have the opposite affect from caffine. It's not going to hype him up it's going to relax and focus. Now not saying give your kid coffee over medicating I just usually suggest to a parent wondering if it's really ADHD try it.

Also my son had some anxiety issues and because of family mental illness we have been warned that these issues can go along with ADHD
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)