Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I am desparate for any advice about how to get my 2 1/2 month old to sleep through the night.  My husband lives in Texas and I am active duty so I am up at 5am everyday.  We've tried rice cereal in his bottle and oatmeal and nothing has worked.  Anyone with any advice is much appreciated!  Thank you.

by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 12:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
ColoradoMom86
by Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 5:21 PM

:(  Thank you for the reminder and encouragement.

Quoting Momxfive357:

Your baby is too young to be expected to sleep all night.  It's not safe for any infant to go longer than four hours without nourishment.  Blood sugars drop too fast in young babies.  Maybe you can find someone willing to sleep over nights to help you.  It takes a lot out of young mothers caring for infants and trying to work full time.  Please don't expect more from your baby than he is capable of doing right now.  It will get much easier I promise.  Be patient.

seraphimsong
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 5:59 PM
I wouldn't expect a 2 month old to sleep through the night. I know it's tough and it sucks, but it's just part of being a new mom. Honestly my kids never slept through the night until they were 9 months old. Also, cereal is a no no at this age. He is way too young. I don't mean this to sound harsh, but this is just one of those things you'll have to suck up and deal with. Just know it gets better.
Molimomma
by Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Can you take a nap when you get home? The baby is not likely to sleep through the night for longer than 4/5 hours for awhile and every time he goes through a growth spurt he is likely to wake more often to eat. You either need to find time after work to catch a nap or find someone willing to pitch in and help. Sleep deprivation and exhaustion is no fun but baby needs to eat too.

dritchie
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 6:28 PM
Feed your baby in a nearly dark room. Don't song or play. Just fed bottle the straight back to bed.
seaturtle1
by Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 7:05 PM

The baby is still to little for sleeping through the night and way to young for food. Thats my 2 cents.

HAHuskey
by Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this
My baby is 8 months old and still wakes a time or two through the night to eat. You can't force him to sleep all night. He'll start when he's ready.
AlexisCole2426
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 7:19 PM
What really helps is to be kept up all day as much as possible. I use Johnson and Johnson baby bed time shampoo. It actually helps ALOT! I wouldn't advise using cereal in the bottles just yet he's way to young! Also I put on baby Einstein music as my girls were going to sleep. Low lighting in the room. And sometimes it might just be that your baby wants you live and affection going to sleep rock him to sleep and lay him in bed once he's fully asleep.
grammarpolice
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Only thing I'd recommend is to cosleep and keep him on the boob all night.

Mommyof1023
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 7:24 PM

I started giving my daughter cereal at 2 months and it helped her tremenously and I give her a bath every night around 8 then I put a lot of nighty night lotion(  that's what I call it) it's the purple Johnson's lotion and then give her the cereal bottle and she goes to bed and sleeps until about 5 am 

Rotorkitty
by Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I got advice for my last baby since she was a night owl. Feed small frequent bottles through the day so they stay fuller at night. Also make sure when you do feed at night it is dark, quiet and no stimulation. They learn quickly that being awake at night is no fun.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)