Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Question about church.

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:24 AM
  • 45 Replies
1 mom liked this

So, I have an 8 year old who has been asking me for a while now to take him to church. I haven't been to church since I was a teen. I want to take him but I am nerves about it I don't know how to go about joining a church. It would be me, my son and my my daughter that is 2. (not sure if my bf would go as he usually leaves out on sundays for work he is a truck driver) Do we just walk in set down? What do we wear our regular clothes would we need nice dress clothes (We don't have dress clothes lol) I am just so confused about what to do I haven't been to church in so long but I really want to take him since he has been asking me lots of questions about God. Most of which I can't answer.

by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maxi_Maxi
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:26 AM
5 moms liked this
A church will welcome you regardless of what you are wearing. I would research the denomination before going to make sure that's the denomination you want also.
Pnukey
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:29 AM

I would take recommendations from friends before going to a random church. We, too, want to go, but our friends go to churches with worship styles we do not like, so we don't go. You can always go mid-week and talk to the secretaries, and maybe even the pastors, to find out what kind of worship they do to see if it is what you want to expose your kids to. 

But, if you choose to just drop in at the local church, I would dress nice, but not fancy, just not jeans, sit in the back, and see how it goes.

seraphimsong
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:29 AM
3 moms liked this

I would dress nice, even if that means some nice jeans and a nice shirt. Some churches are dressier and some are more laid back. Yes, just go in and sit down! You don't really have to do anything to "join" a church. You just start attending and you become a part of it. If you don't particularly like one church you can try others. 

Do you have any friends or family that can recommend a church to you or that you could attend church with? That is sometimes a good starting place so that you at least know someone there.

Sportbominable
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm Catholic and if you go to Catholic mass, you just walk in and sit down. I wear regular clothes like jeans and hoodies. I hate dress clothes, lol. Just don't take communion. Stay seated during that time. Trust me, you won't be the only one who doesn't go up. What religion are you? If you are Catholic and received all the sacraments: baptism, reconciliation, holy communion and confirmation you can just go to confession and start receiving holy communion at mass, if not, you have to go throught the RCIA program. Just call the rectory. Other religions I don't know anything about. 

Sassybaglady31
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

You can wear normal clothes and most of the time you go to the church in a close area sit thru a few Sunday sermans see if you would want to be in that church and if so you call the rectory and ask to join. I had not been in years but my daughter when to preschool and they went to church every Wednesday and she loved it and learned alot about God and really asked questions that stumpped me. I do take her and she loves it. I will say church is up to the the person and or family. 

luvbugs3
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:41 AM

I think it all depends on which church you go to.  I am Catholic, and people wear regular clothes, not too dressy. They seem to welcome anyone coming to mass.  It is convenient because most Catholic churches offer many mass times including Saturday night 5 or 6 pm.  And usually a couple on Sunday morning as well.  There is one church by me that even has a Sunday at 5pm mass. You do not need to go up for communion if you are not familiar with it, but if you do go up and cross your arms across your chest, the priest will give you a blessing instead.  Anyone is welcome to attend church.  If you go and like it, you can talk to someone about becoming a member of the church.  I think I would call or visit the church office to do that.

I grew up in a Presbyterian family, and they were also very open to welcoming anyone to attend services.  I remember the people dressed up a little more there, but still not super fancy.

If you are not familiar with church, I suggest going to a few different denominations and see which one feels right to you.  Then after you have experienced a few you can decide to continue and possibly join the church, take classes, your kids can go to Sunday school etc.   

nickie0512
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:27 AM

I grew up baptist and those are the churches I have been too so thats where i planned on going. We have a small church close to us and a huge one lol My family doesn't attend church and I don't have friends here. I live in nc moved here 3 years ago and am a stay at home mother so I don't get out much to make friends lol

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Just wear something nice,something like you would wear in a professional setting. But comfortable!
1frog
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I would go to a few in your area that you think would be a good fit for your family alone first. Do some research online about churches in your area and also consider what denomination you may like. Once you find one you like, then bring your children. I wouldn't "shop around" with the 8 yr old along as it may confuse him. Wait until you more familiar with how that church runs its daycare, Sunday School for the 8 yr. old etc. before taking him. If you aren't familiar with the church, feel free to call first and ask some questions, they are always nice and helpful in my experience, and as you aren't there in person it will be less pressure for you. Also if you have friends or coworkers that have shared anything with you that sounds interesting, ask them more questions, but don't let them, or any church you attend pressure you into joining.

little.worthen
by Tess on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:54 PM

just go in there. wear whatever you want

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN