Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Should an 18yo be asked to pay her own way?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:34 AM
  • 38 Replies

18-Year-Old Sues Parents for College Tuition But Refuses to Follow Their Rules

by Lisa Fogarty

In most teens' minds, the day they turn 18 is going to be a glorious one. All of those stupid rules they had to follow at home will suddenly be lifted like some great fog. Overnight, parents will begin to respect their newfound freedom and independence -- yet continue to provide them with warm meals, because who the heck wants to have to cook for themselves at 18?

Rachel Canning is having a difficult time adjusting to 18. The New Jersey teen is suing her parents for refusing to pay for her college tuition and living and transportation expenses, despite the fact that she's no longer living at home and, according to her parents, left willingly because she didn't want to follow their rules.

According to Rachel, who was an honor student at Morris Catholic High School, her parents threw her out of their house. She is asking a judge to declare that she's non-emancipated and dependent on her parents to pay an outstanding high school tuition bill, foot the cost for her current living expenses, and turn over the college fund they'd been saving for her all of these years.

Rachel's mom and dad -- who is a retired police chief -- insist that the teen chose to leave their home because she didn't want to follow rules like maintaining a curfew and doing her chores. They say they miss her and that it is "killing" them not to have Rachel at home. The teen is currently staying with her best friend, whose father is reportedly funding her lawsuit.

I'm pretty surprised a judge even agreed to hear this case, but I can see one of Rachel's points -- and only one. If her parents were paying for her high school tuition, I feel they should be liable to pay the outstanding bill, considering she was under age at the time she attended school.

As far as having to pay for her college tuition and life expenses: oh boy. Being blessed with parents who are willing and able to pay for your undergraduate education is a gift and not a right. Some parents may view "18" as a magical age in which everything changes, but many do not.

Many still feel like, well, I pay the bills at home and if you're going to be living under my roof, I have certain rules. And those rules should be respected, or teens should be forced to understand that they aren't going to be handed everything on a silver platter for nothing in return.

If she's lucky, the judge presiding over her case will give her the best life lesson she's ever had and vote in favor of her parents' right to choose whether they want to pay for their adult daughter's expenses and college tuition.

What do you think? Should this teen be asked to pay for her own expenses or is she still dependent on her parents?

by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
withsecond
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:37 AM
2 moms liked this

If she doesn't want to follow the rules of her parents house, then she can leave and pay her own way. 

I don't personally think parents should have to pay for college. If someone wants to go, they should pay. They're adults at 18, they can handle paying on their own. 

berlgirl1224
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this
It sounds like the adults she lives with now have put it in her head that she can get money from her parents. It also sounds like she didn't like the rules at home and just wanted out so she moved in with her BFF and now she sees she can't make it through college without mommy and daddy and is trying to sue them for help.
And for some dumb reason she will probably will because that is what this world is coming to. A ton of lazy, good for nothing , whiny little brats, getting everything they want, handed to them on silver platters while doing nothing for it. Everyone wins now, there's no competition, everyone gets a trophy, etc, turns everyone into an entitled whiny bitch
So this girl seriously thinks she is entitled to sue her parents for college money? Welcome to the real world honey! I get married at 18 and had to make my own way in life. Do the same sweetheart! Nothing should just be gone to you! You aren't any more special than anyone else.
There are things called loans and financial aid and scholarships and grants. Hell!, you're an honor student, those grades should get you SOMEWHERE!
Pnukey
by Jennifer on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:44 AM

I think the HS fees are reasonable, but not the college.

However, if she wins, then I can sue my parents to pay off my student loans since they didn't pay for my college. hahaha.

TheSilence
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
She left home. She wanted to be an adult then she can get a job and support herself.
Life lessons are tough.
katiebug840204
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:44 AM
Wow! The parents do need to pay for the high school tuition but not their daughters college tuition and life expenses.
Karmahappens
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:45 AM

She isn't suing for college money but for the College fund that is already there-the two things are subltely different.

My son's college fund is UGTM-I can NOT ever keep it unless he dies.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

She moved out to avoid chores and rules, she is 18. She needs to get a job and support herself. There is more chance that she can get financial aid anyway if only her income is calculated into eligibility rather than that of her parents. Funding for college is a gift from the parents, not a right of the child.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:23 AM

I see about the college fund, good point. This would take a ruling. I wonder if her parents can pay taxes on the money they contributed and take it back- a problem I see with this is that others may also have contributed to it- grandparents for example, and those contributions should not go to the parents.

Quoting Karmahappens:

She isn't suing for college money but for the College fund that is already there-the two things are subltely different.

My son's college fund is UGTM-I can NOT ever keep it unless he dies.

working-girl
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:46 AM
2 moms liked this
She is nothing but an entitled little shit.
supercarp
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:06 PM

We paid for all 3 of our kids' college expenses (undergraduate only- they paid their own graduate school and medical school- still paying) but we never had any problems with rule breaking or taking advantage of us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)