Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would you buy this doll?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:50 PM
  • 86 Replies
5 moms liked this

Personally I think it's a great idea

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alisonvingiano/this-barbie-doll-has-the-porportions-of-an-average-american

If Barbie were an average young woman, she’d look very different from the toy so many girls grew up with.

If Barbie were an average young woman, she'd look very different from the toy so many girls grew up with.
Mattel

Barbie would look more like this: a doll artist Nickolay Lamm designed and built to show that “average” is beautiful.

Barbie would look more like this: a doll artist Nickolay Lamm designed and built to show that "average" is beautiful.

The project started last year, when Lamm, a Pittsburgh-based artist, designed images of what he called “Normal Barbie” in an attempt to make the doll reflective of real bodies.

The project started last year, when Lamm, a Pittsburgh-based artist, designed images of what he called "Normal Barbie" in an attempt to make the doll reflective of real bodies.
Nicoklay Lamm / Via lammily.com

After Lamm’s original designs went viral, he worked on building other dolls with average proportions.

He used the measurements of an average 19-year-old woman from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and then molded them to a 3D model of Barbie.

He used the measurements of an average 19-year-old woman from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and then molded them to a 3D model of Barbie.

Compared with the original Barbie doll, the changes are drastic: Lamm’s doll is shorter and has more realistic proportions. Her feet are flat, not permanently built to fit into high heels.

Compared with the original Barbie doll, the changes are drastic: Lamm's doll is shorter and has more realistic proportions. Her feet are flat, not permanently built to fit into high heels.

Lamm has now launched a crowdfunding site to produce 5,000 “Lammily” dolls, which will feature average proportions, a light amount of makeup, and joints that bend.

Lamm has now launched a crowdfunding site to produce 5,000 "Lammily" dolls, which will feature average proportions, a light amount of makeup, and joints that bend.

You can buy the doll with a $20 donation.

He’s attempting to raise $95,000 to produce the dolls, but says it’s worth it. “If there’s even a 10% chance that those dolls affect [body image], let’s make it.”

He's attempting to raise $95,000 to produce the dolls, but says it's worth it. "If there's even a 10% chance that those dolls affect [body image], let's make it."

“I’ll build new clothes and accessories after this crowdfunding,” Lamm told BuzzFeed. “My plan is for Lammily to come in different ethnicities and body shapes. But all future body shapes will be of healthy typical women.”

"I'll build new clothes and accessories after this crowdfunding," Lamm told BuzzFeed. "My plan is for Lammily to come in different ethnicities and body shapes. But all future body shapes will be of healthy typical women."
Via Nickolay Lamm

“I want to show that average is beautiful,” says Lamm.

“I’ve been working really hard to make the doll a reality,” Lamm says in his fundraising video. “‘Lammily’ promotes a healthy lifestyle.”

He says “Lammily” is an alternative to dolls with unrealistic beauty standards that dominate the market, like Barbie, or the hypersexualized Bratz Dolls.

He says "Lammily" is an alternative to dolls with unrealistic beauty standards that dominate the market, like Barbie, or the hypersexualized Bratz Dolls.

The big questions is: Will kids want to play with “average”-looking dolls?

The big questions is: Will kids want to play with "average"-looking dolls?

“My doll is a cool-looking doll that just happens to be average,” he says.

"My doll is a cool-looking doll that just happens to be average," he says.

He plans to market the doll to kids without mentioning its body type. “Very few kids are concerned about body image like parents are. It would be like me trying to feed them broccoli.”

He plans to market the doll to kids without mentioning its body type. "Very few kids are concerned about body image like parents are. It would be like me trying to feed them broccoli."
Via Nickolay Lamm

We’re yet to see the success of his fundraising campaign, but these are pretty awesome…and actually look like real women.

We're yet to see the success of his fundraising campaign, but these are pretty awesome...and actually look like real women.

by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RitaTequila531
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:51 PM
4 moms liked this
Definitely
And I would love a brown girl one for her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Supernatural971
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I love them!!

lenashark
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:54 PM
20 moms liked this

No. My kids will be allowed to play with the new doll if they want, its kind of cool that the joints move, but they can still have barbies too. I had barbies growing up, as did all of my friends, all we cared about were her cool accessories and playing dream house with her. We never noticed that she was skinny until adults pointed it out to us and made a big deal about it, saying would ruin our self confidence. She was always just a fun piece of plastic, I never aspired to have the same body as barbie any more than I aspired to be a dog and became depressed when I wasn't just because I played with a stuffed dog.

Supernatural971
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:55 PM
4 moms liked this

That didnt even make sense but ok...

Quoting lenashark:

No. My kids would be allowed to play with it, but they could still have barbies too. I had barbies growing up, as did all of my friends, all we cared about were her cool accessories and playing dream house with her, we never noticed that she was skinny until adults pointed it out to us and made a big deal that it would ruin our self confidence. She was always just a fun piece of plastic, I never aspired to have the same body as barbie any more than I aspired to be a dog and became depressed when I wasn't when I played with a stuffed dog.

lenashark
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:57 PM
2 moms liked this

What didn't make sense, it's simple english.

Quoting Supernatural971:

Quoting lenashark:

No. My kids would be allowed to play with it, but they could still have barbies too. I had barbies growing up, as did all of my friends, all we cared about were her cool accessories and playing dream house with her, we never noticed that she was skinny until adults pointed it out to us and made a big deal that it would ruin our self confidence. She was always just a fun piece of plastic, I never aspired to have the same body as barbie any more than I aspired to be a dog and became depressed when I wasn't when I played with a stuffed dog.

Elyce225
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Well said.

Quoting lenashark:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyce225
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Haha, and here I am all "well said" one shit, lol.

It was very understandable.

Quoting lenashark:

What didn't make sense, it's simple english.

Quoting Supernatural971:

Quoting lenashark:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RitaTequila531
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:59 PM
I agree with you about not caring about body types as a child :0)

Quoting lenashark:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katiebug840204
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I love her!!!
Supernatural971
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Quoting Elyce225: Well said.
Quoting lenashark:

I aspired to be a dog and become depressed when I wasnt when I played with a stuffed dog???

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)