Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Wife of Traveling Husband - feeling lonely

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:34 PM
  • 12 Replies

Okay ladies - I'm here to chat and just pour my heart out! My husband travels for work and he's gone a LOT! He left today for a long period of time and while we Face Time, skype, talk, text a lot, it's so hard being a stay at home mom and doing it alone. I have so much respect for single mothers! How do you do it!? It's not just the loneliness - which hits the hardest at night, after my baby is put to bed and I'm up. But I'm bored out of my mind. Most of the friends I had in the area have moved and finding other moms and kids to play with has been a little difficult. I'm really outgoing, fun, & nice, it's just the age of the area we're in. It's newly weds (with no kids) or nearly deads (geriatric anyone?). Lol.

I need to plan some fun things for myself to do and get a sitter every now and then. Movies, pediures, etc. What are your thoughts? How do you beat the "I'm with a 1 year old all day and I'm going crazy blues?" ;)

Thanks ladies!!

by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:21 PM
Welcome!
Join local play groups,do you have any neighbors? Set up play dates with other mommies.
funhappymom
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 8:13 AM

I think making time for yourself is a good idea. Hire a sitter and go grocery shopping alone, get a hair cut, a mani/pedi, etc. Something just for yourself every once in a whlie.

Where do you live?

raschwittay
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 8:18 AM
My husband travels to. We are having another travel date of 6 months+. Last time it was 2 years.

I wouldn't compare it to being a single mom. At least they get done fwb pootang.. We don't.

I just I have two boys. Ones nearly school age so no traveling to visit dad anymore.

I am heartbroken. But I realize this needs to happen to live the lifestyle we do.

You just truck on. I guess
LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Hi, Welcome to CafeMom! Hope you love it here as much as I do!

Enjoy a Coffee Break Chat
with us Every Tuesday!

KelliansMom
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:04 AM

I did that for five years, hubby spent about 306 days a year staying in hotels in other states and even other countries. I found keeping busy really helped and I did go on lots of trips to visit family and friends. 

tx.tara
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:10 AM

My fiance travels all the time too. He is home on weekends, but gone pretty much Monday - Friday most weeks. I don't have kids of my own, he has a daughter that we have EOWE. It's hard, for me it's harder being alone at night (no kids in the house to keep me busy). I work, so that does break up the time a lot, I find when he's gone I will work a little later to eat up a little more time that I would be home alone.

I think the other suggestions here are good, hire a babysitter and do something for yourself every now and then. That may give you a break, and  maybe give you an opportinity to make some new friends. Maybe try going to a park if your weather is nice enough, and you might meet some other moms with kids the same age as yours... sorry I'm not much help! Good luck & hang in there!

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:17 AM

My husband did the same. A lot of travel and leaving me on my own. I went to many school concerts, meetings, activities on my own. I did volunteer work where I could also take my children so I didn't have to deal with babysitters. I took classes that offered child care also. I worked on crafts. I gardened, studied subjects that interested me. I didn't get bored, but those lonely nights... One thing I did for a long while was to let the children camp out in my bedroom so we were all in the same room at night and I wasn't lonely then-  I put sleeping bags on the floor, pillows and blankets, and the kids enjoyed the change.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Playgroups are great. I belonged to two kinds. One was a structured group where the moms left the children and the host mom taught a short lesson with her specialty- I taught yoga, another taught painting, singing, I forget what else. And playgroups where the moms stayed and had coffee and a snack and chat while the children played. I met moms in the neighborhood, playground, classes.

Quoting Hottmomma607: Welcome! Join local play groups,do you have any neighbors? Set up play dates with other mommies.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this
They saved my life before cafemom!

Quoting Bmat:

Playgroups are great. I belonged to two kinds. One was a structured group where the moms left the children and the host mom taught a short lesson with her specialty- I taught yoga, another taught painting, singing, I forget what else. And playgroups where the moms stayed and had coffee and a snack and chat while the children played. I met moms in the neighborhood, playground, classes.

Quoting Hottmomma607: Welcome!
Join local play groups,do you have any neighbors? Set up play dates with other mommies.

DesignGal_SLC
by New Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:46 PM

You guys are all so sweet! Thank you! Keeping busy is key for me! I've set up play dates with friends and even a few GNOs. I also loved the suggestion of studying something! Thank you!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)