Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Preschooler's discipline

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 6:41 PM
  • 16 Replies

How do you discipline your preschool age (3-5) child at home?

Talking/reasoning

Spank

Timeout

If others please specify_______________________.

by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 6:50 PM

A talk and then time out for 1 min/yr of age.  It really depends on what offense she committed.

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 6:56 PM
For my almost 5 yr old it depends on what the issue is and is it a new or old one. I have only given her a quick swat on her butt twice in her life so that is really really rare
tootired4this
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:50 PM

depends on what they did.  if it is bad, like when my daughter was that age and she was trying to stick my keys in the light socket, it was a spanking (one good swat).  she never did that again!  if she was just in the bathroom playing in water, then just a talking to.  if she colored on the walls after I told her time and time again to stay on the stinking paper, then time out which consists of her standng with her nose to the wall and her arms straight out to the side.  she hates my time outs!

westtnsexymama
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:31 PM
2 moms liked this
All the above..depends on offense
china019
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:46 PM

BUMP!

masesmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I spanked my oldest son a few times, until I realized that it was more of a angry reaction on my part, and just wasnt effective.  I try to view all behavior instances as mistaken behavior rather then misbehavior. I am about to graduate with a degree in Early Childhood Education and we have studied pretty extensivly the concept of mistaken behavior. (Viewing negative behavior as learning experiences) Please check it out it is rather eye opening!  When I have had to use time outs, I sit the child down, explain why they are sitting in "time out" but it only lasts as long as he needs it to, when he is ready to talk, they tell me, we discuss the situation, hug and move on. They have never abused this, and I don't remember the last time I have had to "punish" my 4 year old.  The concept is using guidance towards good behavior rather than punishment or attention for negative behavior. 

IUMer
Baking banana bread and enjoying the quiet house.
Yesterday at 12:27 PM
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:05 PM

timeout

alishas112
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:23 PM
Timeout and talk about it
waytomanykids10
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I use timeouts, taking away  things, putting them to work, if all else fails then we spank.

LauraLuciferMom
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:08 PM

can i ask why you hadn't bought the plugs that prevent this issue? in my opinion, YOU slacked off as a parent and shouldnt have spanked her for that. Personally, ALL of the plugs in my home are protected with the outlet plugs that i thought were just common sence after they are old enough to crawl and get to the outlets.. I Wouldnt have spanked her.. You hurt her bc she was going to accidentally hurt herself with the keys that YOU let her play with and she really did make an effort to use them right which is something to be proud of, however, she shouldnt have been able to possibly stick anything in them. Im sure plenty of her toys could fit too. five dollars and you wouldnt have anything at all to worry about if she tried to stick something in there.. We also keep all doors closed to bathrooms because children can fall into the toilet and drown.. The onlt door that isnt closed in our house is our childrens bedroom.. that way, you avoud any issue concerning the bathroom, bedrooms, laundry room, mud room.. ect.. All cabinets have the locks on them, drawers as well, and just as an extra preventitive measure, all doorknobs have the childproof covers on them.. We as parents should do our best to prevent our children from getting hurt rather than hurting them because we didnt do our job to the fullest.. im sure you're an awesome mom! i just think spanking for something like that is just ridiculous..

Quoting tootired4this:

depends on what they did.  if it is bad, like when my daughter was that age and she was trying to stick my keys in the light socket, it was a spanking (one good swat).  she never did that again!  if she was just in the bathroom playing in water, then just a talking to.  if she colored on the walls after I told her time and time again to stay on the stinking paper, then time out which consists of her standng with her nose to the wall and her arms straight out to the side.  she hates my time outs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)