Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

how are you as a grandmother? or your childs grandmother?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:54 PM
  • 33 Replies
My mother in law never wants to watch my son unless she offers to which is rarely ever or wants me to do something for her, I've had a job for three weeks now and she suggested that I take him to dfacs because she just can't do it is this normal I understand she is older but most grandmothers love having there grandbabies and I even offered to pay her but she has the energy to run all over town all day
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chasitymcentire
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:56 PM
Maybe she just doesn't want it to become an every day thing idk?
mysticatgal
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:57 PM
3 moms liked this
No I don't expect it. My in-laws don't care to watch their kids at all. It's who they are and I've accepted it. My parents are super grandparents but never would I expect it from them either. They've raised kids and deserve their free time. You'll see, there are grandparents who don't mind once in awhile but love to not have that responsibility anymore.
waytomanykids10
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 1:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't expect it but it is always nice. My MIL is 71 and has the energy of the energizer bunny, and she takes our kids whenever she can. SHe loves to spend time with them.

NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 5:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I dont know anyone that has a grandparent who is willing to babysit daily.  Either the grandparents are young enough that they are working themselves, or are simply busy around the house and do not have time for a baby everyday or they are too old and cant chase a baby.

Every mom I know either  has their child in daycare or they stay home with their child.  My mom never babysits for me. She lives a couple miles away and I never ask her to watch my kids. 

Reina13
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:37 PM
2 moms liked this

I never expected my parents or my in-laws to want to watch my children. If they want to have them over for a visit or bonding time, that is great, but I wouldn't expect them to watch them when ever I needed them to or on a daily basis for that matter.

Maybe your MIL really does enjoy her time with your son, but she has already raised kids and wants to enjoy her empty nest.  :)

waytomanykids10
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I don't know a single person that has their child in daycare. It is always family (usually the grandparents) that watch them. In our area a lot of people depend on family to help out. Daycare is expensive.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I dont know anyone that has a grandparent who is willing to babysit daily.  Either the grandparents are young enough that they are working themselves, or are simply busy around the house and do not have time for a baby everyday or they are too old and cant chase a baby.

Every mom I know either  has their child in daycare or they stay home with their child.  My mom never babysits for me. She lives a couple miles away and I never ask her to watch my kids. 

jessnewmom321
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 2:37 PM
My mom loves my daughter and she is a good grandma but she is busy in her own life. My step father loves to watch my daughter any chance he can get. I'm just the over protective mom and would rather be with her 24/7 lol.
NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 2:49 PM

In our area we do things differently.  If we cant afford to stay home or send our kids to daycare we dont have kids.  My mom owns her own company and my dad is a doctor.  My inlaws are retired and live up at their cabin most of the year.  Why should any of them have to change their lives to stay home with my kids?

Quoting waytomanykids10:

I don't know a single person that has their child in daycare. It is always family (usually the grandparents) that watch them. In our area a lot of people depend on family to help out. Daycare is expensive.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

.Skittles.
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I don't expect it, but my mom never has a problem. I rarely ask, though. Maybe once every few months for an hour or so. 

lenashark
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 2:51 PM

She already raised a child and doesn't want one in the house everyday. It has nothing to do with love or being a good grandparent, she just want to commit to something like that at her age, very understandable. Just get a sitter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)