Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Have any of you used ancestry.com?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:08 PM
  • 44 Replies
1 mom liked this

I just stated researching and have went back 10 generations thats over 179 grandmas/grandpas and great aunts and great uncles....I havent even started the 2nd, 3rd,+ cousins lol boy there are things that made my stomach churn with one of my great great great grandmother lost 4 of her children to scarlet fever, then my great great grandmother died in a house fire with her 4 year old daughter...and to think of all the other stuff I found! Whew so much to take in and process..

Viola McBride Whitt is my fathers mother. Odus and Susie are her parents the rest are siblings. This is who I started with

by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvnature
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

"ancestry" ....I tried, but it cost a fortune to be a member and also there are way too many of the same name and no pictures, so most of the time you don't even know if you have the right person. 

taKENheart
by Flovely on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Fun and interesting!
No, I haven't but my step son has.  LOL He had dh married to the wrong Heather ____. HAHA!

taKENheart
by Flovely on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:25 PM

I don't know how much they cost but I did just comment that my step son had his dad married to the wrong person on his tree, lol!

Quoting luvnature:

"ancestry" ....I tried, but it cost a fortune to be a member and also there are way too many of the same name and no pictures, so most of the time you don't even know if you have the right person. 

babyhope1207
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I love the site and even though it is costly I took advantage of a free trial a few years ago. I found A LOT! I went back 17 generations. With a little time and work I think it's worth it. :)
Arahcelys
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:50 PM
I have but I didnt quite know enough about my family to get very far, and past a certain point I started questioning if the people it was listing were actually related to me.

RitaTequila531
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:57 PM
No, I've never used ancestry.com
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by Carin on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:09 AM

We do, well my DH, he helps his mom with their family (both sides of the family) geneaology. He's very detailed with his research, though he hasn't worked on it in awhile.

thatgirl70
by Carin on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:13 AM

You won't believe how many people make that mistake. DH has had to make so many corrections to his family tree because someone would see a name and miss seeing the there were two other people with the same name and it should have been one of the other people they linked to. 

Quoting taKENheart:

I don't know how much they cost but I did just comment that my step son had his dad married to the wrong person on his tree, lol!

Quoting luvnature:

Godgaveme4
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:13 AM
Yes I have. I have been a member for quite a few years. I have had the opportunity to connect with distant relatives because of my membership. It is fun.
taKENheart
by Flovely on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:22 AM

I bet it happens alllll the time actually.  Not hard to believe at all.  If you are paying then I feel the mistakes shouldn't happen at all.  I don't care if you are using their service.  There should be some auto check in the background of your clicking to ensure or at least confirm the connection within a month of you choosing someone for your tree.

Quoting thatgirl70:

You won't believe how many people make that mistake. DH has had to make so many corrections to his family tree because someone would see a name and miss seeing the there were two other people with the same name and it should have been one of the other people they linked to. 

Quoting taKENheart:

Quoting luvnature:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)