Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Need breastfeeding support and help!!

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:17 PM
  • 20 Replies

Hi moms!!

My baby girl was born six weeks ago! She was EBF for the first two weeks with a nipple shield due to flat nipples. We found out that she wasn't gaining any weight since leaving the hospital and had to start supplementing with formula. I was breastfeeding pumping and supplementing every three hours!! I only have been producing .5oz of breastmilk when I pump :( we are now EFF with some breastfeeding just for cuddle time. I have tried everything from power pumping 4 hours at a time, fenugreek, goats rue, oatmeal, massage. Is there anything I can do to increase my milk supply and get back to EBF. She is so gassy and hates the formula, I would love to breastfeed. Or any suggestions on a cheaper option then donor milk?

by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
autumnpruett88
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:01 AM
People Kept Telling Me To Relax, stop Stressing and It'll Happen. that stressed me out even more! But they're right. I Still Have To Supplement As I Dont Produce Enough But Im Now Down To Maybe 2 Bottles A Week Of Formula And My Lo Is 9 Months Old. Push The Water, And Dont Count Ounces, Any Bit Of BreastMilk You Pump Is Better Than None!! I Had A Hard Time At First Too. I Hope That Helped.
Twin_mom2014
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:23 AM

Hi,

I had twins last April via c section and was also not producing milk. I planned on EBF and was so frustrated that I couldn't. Both guys were also miserable on formula however we started supplementing with simlac for fussiness and gas and that seemed to lessen their discomfort. So I set a nursing schedule,letting them nurse first and when they decided to give up I offered them formula. I gave up pumping and just nursed more frequently. I also ate oatmeal, drank lots of milk , tons of water and my mother told me to have a milk shake a couple times a week. I think maybe that was just to comfort me but she swore it was something about the cream. Gradually the guys took less and less formula after our nursing session. Three months they refused the bottle all together and we have been EBF ever since. Granted that was for two so you may find a month is all you need, just keep at it. Stress also plays a big part so try to stop stressing.

I was bumbed at first that I couldn't live up to this image I had projected in terms of being the best mom I could be and EBF but I had to give formula and it turned out great... Just hang in there, .5oz of breast milk is better than none!

terpmama
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:25 AM
Babies are better milk extractors than pumps ... Some women don't respond to pumps at all but bf just fine. I exclusively ppef for two months with my first (preemie)... Then I got fed up and decided we were gonna figure out this nursing thing... He nursed evry 45 minutes for. 45 minutes for three days straight (boy was I tired) but I kept at it. After the 3 days it got shorter nursing and longer between. I also had the support of hubby and some awesome lac. Consult ladies. Unless there's a true medical issue I say you nurse nurse nurse... Don't worry about how much you pump just count diapers. If you can weigh with a really sensitive scale (like grams difference ) do a before feed/after feed weights ... 30 grams is 1 ounce milk) and see how baby is doing at getting milk.
terpmama
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:26 AM
Oh and rule of three for growth spurts (which means more frequent nursing leading up to them... So 3, 6, 9 weeks and 3, 6, 9 months are the biggie spurts (generally)
MixedCooke
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:33 AM

FENUGREEK increased my milk supply to 9 ounces an hour after I took it. 

xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:03 AM
Have you tried a supplemental nursing system? If not, look into it. They help offer the stimulation needed to encourage milk production while baby is FF.
Shelbymilburn
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:30 AM

Thank you all for the support. I have been taking the fenugreek and goats rue for weeks with no improvement. She is taking 4oz of formula every 4 hours now. We are going to try BF beforen every feeding starting again tomorrow and see what happens. My Lac. Ladies don't know what's wrong and why I'm not producing enough to feed her just breastmilk. 

1TallMamaCA
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:34 AM
1 mom liked this
My first child I produced zero milk,she was a 27 weeker, and passed at one week.

My second I didnt start producing even colustrum till he was two weeks, he was a 32 weekerand horrible acid reflux.

My third child I started producing at 28 weeks, and I carried to 39 weeks. And he is still breast feeding at two... trying to wean.

My point is don't worry, as long as you're feeding her, cuddling, and showering with love, formula is not an issue. This is only year one.you have seventeen to go.
SA002007012
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 6:46 AM
I had the same issue mamma first yhu have to get your baby to suck for atty least hour for 3-10 minutes her saliva is going to tell your body how much she needs.plus don't stop taking pre Natals also the fact that she is gassy is great news!! That means she won't be colicy! But just relax and dont streess too much..

Hugs
chairhead28
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 6:51 AM
I suggest posting this in the Breastfeeding Moms group. There are wonderful ladies that will help you.

My biggest suggestion is to have a nurse-in session. Take three days of nothing but skin to skin contact and letting baby suckle ANYTIME she wants. Breastfeeding is a supply and demand relationship. Once you starte supplementing with formula, your milk supply dropped because your body doesn't think it needs to make as much milk. Wet/dirty diapers are the main clues to look for to see if your child is getting enough. At least 6-8 wet/dirty diapers shows baby is getting PLENTY.
And remember, pediatricians growth charts for babies are formula feeding charts, NOT BFing charts.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN