better than drinking beer? Cooking with beer! Okay, fine, both are pretty great.
But on St. Patrick's Day, you're allowed to both cook with beer and
drink it. It's a rule.
If you're looking for an easy, super yummy last minute St. Patrick's
Day treat, look no further than this decadent and
delicious Chocolate Guinness Cupcake recipe. It's the (Irish
Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes adapted from Chow
For the Cupcakes
- Unsalted butter, melted, for coating the muffin pans (optional)
- 1 (11.2-ounce) bottle Guinness stout
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
For the Frosting
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- Pinch fine salt
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- Natural unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
1. Heat the oven to 350 F and arrange a rack in the middle.
Place cupcake liners in two (12-well) muffin pans; alternatively, coat the wells
with melted butter. Set the pans aside.
2. Whisk together the Guinness, milk, vegetable oil, and
vanilla in a large bowl until combined. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, until
completely incorporated. Whisk in the sour cream.
3. Whisk the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and
salt in a second large bowl to aerate and combine. Gradually fold this mixture
into the wet Guinness mixture. Divide the batter among the muffin wells.
4. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the
muffins comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Set the pans on a wire rack and
let the cupcakes cool completely before removing from the pans.
1. Place the cream cheese and salt in the bowl of a stand
mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat on medium speed until light and
fluffy, about 2 minutes. With the mixer on medium speed, gradually beat in the
heavy cream until smooth, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with
a spatula. With the mixer on medium speed, gradually mix in the powdered sugar
until completely incorporated and smooth, about 3 minutes.
2. Top each cupcake with a heap of frosting and dust with
cocoa powder. (Note: you can dye frosting green, if you like.)