Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is it possible to have postpartum depression that lasts for a long time?

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:07 PM
  • 8 Replies

I used to be a very energetic up beat mom. My husband and I did so much together, we were always doing family things outside of the home. I was always happy and active, even when I was pregnant with my daughter...

The day I brought my daughter home I started feeling really down and sad. I thought it was the "baby blues". My husband would be sleeping next to me and I would hold our newborn daughter and just cry my eyes out all night long. He went back to work soon after she was born and I was left alone with our newborn, 1 year old, and 4 year old. I no longer had any energy, I was always exhausted, alone, crying all the time. I stopped leaving the house unless I HAD to leave, I stopped feeling happy, I stopped being as involved with my kids as I used to be and it seemed to just keep getting worse...I even ended up losing a scary amount of weight because I just couldn't seem to eat anymore...

Now I'm pregnant with our 4th and I'm a mess. I have all these hormones of course but I feel really badly depressed. To the point I feel like just giving up and laying in bed forever by myself. I've been crying constantly, I have all day sickness so I'm always fighting being sick, I have ZERO energy, I feel like I can't even pull myself off the couch most days. I feel like I just don't want to do anything anymore...

Can postpartum last or turn in to depression? I never experienced anything like this before...my daughter is only 1 year old as well...I just want my happy self back, I want to feel happy again :( I love my kids and my husband and I just want to be that happy mom again!! 

I guess the best thing to do is tell my doctor what has been going on and go from there...I feel like this is depression...and I don't know why it has to be here, I just want it gone!

Lilypie - (1BjH)Lilypie - (e3IR)
Lilypie - (YMQ8)Lilypie - (9GKY)

by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Did you ever talk to your doctor about your feelings after the 3rd was born?  Yes post partum can turn into all sorts of things if not treated properly

withsecond
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 4:10 PM
You should definitely talk to your doctor. You may just need a little help getting things back into balance.
Good luck to you.
TrishyyKat
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:26 PM

I never mentioned it to my doctor after I had my third. I honestly thought for a while that it was just normal baby blues. I also never thought I truely didn't have it because I was bonding with my daughter, I was just really weepy and emotional. Then after a while it just turned into a full blown depression. I think it's worse now because this pregnancy has landed me on my butt with all day sickness and exhaustion, it's hard to really pull myself together and get going everyday. I see my OB very soon for my next appointment, I will make sure i mention how I feel to her and hopefully I will be on the mend soon! 

Lilypie - (1BjH)Lilypie - (e3IR)
Lilypie - (YMQ8)Lilypie - (9GKY)

Esmrlda
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 6:42 PM

I thought post partum only lasted 4-6 weeks tops.

Proud2baMuslim
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 7:02 PM

I believe it is very possible. I also believe one of the factors are hormone changes. I have hormone problems, nothing big my biggest issue is my body makes too much cortisone if I don't stay on natural treatments to control it and I get allot of migraines which I am sure are hormone related.

If your hormones are off it throws your body off from everthing to weight gain or loss, to depression, fatige, head aches, even dark circles under the eyes, everything.

You have( 2) 5 oz glands that sit next to your liver. They are your adrenal glands and are responsible for making hormones and cortisone. This is what I have a problem with. I take a supplement called Raw Adrenal which keeps the adrenal glands functioning right. I take 2 capsules three times a day. There have been times I ran out and got too lazy to get more and I feel the difference within days

You should be able to get them at any health food store. If you have a chain called The Vitamin Shoppe in your area I recommend getting it there it's a whole lot cheaper.

Being that it's not a drug and it's an all natural treatment it doesn't work like magic. You have to keep it up daily and give it a good week maybe 2 to build up in your system before you start to see and feel any results. Also because it is not a drug it does not just put a band aid on the symptoms but works to correct the root of the problem.

Also Google Cushings Syndrom it is a disorder caused by your Adrenal glands making too much cortizone. I'm quite sure you don't have Cushing Syndrom but the diet that is recomended for it works very well and aids the Raw Adenal if you decide to try it..

Lavie74
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:24 PM

I have heard of this happening to lots of women. You're not alone. Talk to your doctor and I know he or she can help you get back to your old self again. I'll be praying for you sweetie.

gavs4boys
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Yes hun you can. Go talk to your doctor. I felt the same way after I had my first and I finally went in when he was a year old

mustbeGRACE
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:15 PM

It can last for a few years.

But, they may want to put you on meds while you're pregnant which I would not do to a developing brain, whatever the doc says.

Google as much as you can about the condition and have your hubs do the same, advise hubs and close family that you feel you may have it and take  the best care of yourself that you can. It would be normal for everything that's going on to just about be too much. Add what's going on chemically and you're bound to feel overwhelmed.

Stay in close contact with your doctor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)