Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Can you imagine ever wishing that your child had not been born?

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:33 PM
  • 8 Replies

This morning I read an article from USA Today in which Adam Lanza's dad (Adam was the shooter at Sandy Hook) said that he wished his son had never been born.

As a parent, I cannot imagine EVER saying or thinking something like this.  Did Adam do something horrible, something tragic, something that cannot ever be forgotten?  Yes.  Was Adam once someone's child, too?  Yes.  

I can sort of understand Peter Lanza's statement, but at the same time, I can't imagine EVER, for ANY REASON, wishing one of my children had never been born.  Can you?

by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:47 PM
I really can't imagine it and yet as you said I can see where he's coming from ... It must be a horrible place to be. The guilt he must carry knowing his child did that.
Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this
While I can't imagine ever saying it, I get why he said it. His son killed a lot of people, and kids at that. I imagine he lives with the guilt everyday of feeling like he did something wrong. As parents, we all feel a sense of responsibility for their actions. I cannot imagine living with the guilt that he does.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ryanswifey42012
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:37 PM
No I couldn't say that but I would definitely be upset if my child did that. His dad is feeling sad for the families that will never have their children back because of what his son did.
AliKatAK47
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:51 PM
Well if my son was like that....maybe.
LuvMommysBabies
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:36 AM
I can't, but I can understand the statement he made and why he made it.
skrbelly
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:00 AM
Yes . absolutely if my child was as ill. What kind of life did this kid have, I mean emotionally, internally, psychologically, behaviorally? Mental illness is not given the same empathy and resources as other physical illnesses. I would feel the same if I had a child with some horrible deformity that would always cause him pain, suffering, and humiliation. I would rather not have a child than to have my child crippled by the unbearable burden of major illness. For the child's sake, not mine.
ljmom24
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:30 PM

I don't think this is something anyone can weigh in on unless they have been in his shoes. I can only imagine the guilt he is burdening to think his child did something so unthinkable. I commend him for being honest and not trying to make excuses for his son's actions. No I cannot imagine right now my children ever doing something to make me say that and hopefully never will but can't say he is wrong for feeling that way.

greeneyedmomx2
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Quoting Mommy4-27-08: While I can't imagine ever saying it, I get why he said it. His son killed a lot of people, and kids at that. I imagine he lives with the guilt everyday of feeling like he did something wrong. As parents, we all feel a sense of responsibility for their actions. I cannot imagine living with the guilt that he does.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)