Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Should I tell them I smoke?

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 6:58 PM
  • 22 Replies

I am about to graduate school and will be entering the workforce again after over two years of only working very little, or when I could. I am graduating with my ADN and the job I have now knows I smoke cigarettes (E-cig for me) and has no policy on it except for a designated area outside. BUT many places do have blood testing and such when you apply or are hired for a health care job. It is not set in stone I will be hired by my current employer. I know if I find a job that wants me to test fornicotine, I have to decline the position, but if the job does not test and only asks on app if I smoke cigarettes, should I put yes, or no, given that I only smoke an Ecig?

by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

They will ask if it is important and you should answer honestly.

You should also quit smoking.

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 7:08 PM
2 moms liked this

I know I should answer honestly but If I am not gonna be tested for nicotine, I really think it is no ones business if I smoke an Ecig. Actually, very few even know I do smoke it. At the hospital, I only take a few tokes in the bathroom, if I think of it.  A few close friends and family know I smoke it and at home I smoke freely with it. And I wold like to avoid the stigma and unwanted advice of quitting by my coworkers or boss.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

They will ask if it is important and you should answer honestly.

You should also quit smoking.

daisybaby91
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

tell them you smoke an e cig.

RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this
It's better to be honest.
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:16 PM
If you say no and are caught, you can be fired for providing false information. I would be honest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never known any hospital that does a blood test for nicotine. but then I've been working in the same hospital for almost 24 years.

RitaTequila531
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting coolmommy2x: If you say no and are caught, you can be fired for providing false information. I would be honest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this
It's new.
The latest and greatest invasion of privacy.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

I've never known any hospital that does a blood test for nicotine. but then I've been working in the same hospital for almost 24 years.

bjw_053109
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 2:06 PM
Be honest
withsecond
by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Well, you don't actually smoke. You vape. I would just be honest and say you don't smoke but you do use an electronic cigarette. That way if they do test for nicotine, they'll know why you have it in your system. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)