Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would you go to the circus? OMG!

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 6:40 PM
  • 82 Replies
2 moms liked this

So, I asked my sister in law if she and her family wanted to go to the circus with us.  I thought it would be fun.

Instead, she has some hang up about going to circuses.  She says it's cruel to animals and that she'd never go or let her kids go.

I always thought the circus was a fun place to take your kids.

Her reaction was so strong - as if I was evil for wanting to go!

Would you go to a circus or do you think they're bad, too?

by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 6:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
withsecond
by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 6:47 PM
7 moms liked this
We don't go. I do think they're horrible for the animals. However, I'm not going to go on a rant to someone who does want to go.
Same with the aquarium and Seaworld. We don't go those places either.
lenashark
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 6:49 PM

There are lots of circuses without animals and lots of circuses that treat their animals humanely, we go to those ones. Otherwise we don't go. My kids aren't going to have fun at another living things expense.

mysticatgal
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 6:50 PM
They used to be horrible with the way they treated animals. Most have cleaned up how they treat animals so I would go but your sister in law wasn't completely wrong.
Singlefornow
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 6:51 PM

I agree with you SIL.  Circus' should be banned along with Sea World and other establishments that make money on imprisoning animals.  People say they are well taken care of but so are inmates.  Neither one of these groups are "well taken care of"  Watch The Cove and some other documentaries to see the real story.  Oh we also don't visit the Zoo and we live in one of the most animal friendly Zoo's that I have heard of in USA.  My son is 11, he agrees due to his own love of liviing beings.

OHIOmommy330
by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I went numerous times a year as a child. Now that i am older and I have had a chance to see what really goes on behind the circus curtain, I have never taken my daughter to one. I no longer support SEA WORLD either after watching BLACKFISH on netflix. You should do research on why your sister is so upset about it. It really is horrible the way they treat the animals.

Singlefornow
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 6:54 PM

corporations are not going to tell you they aren't humane as they are looking to turn a profit, even the WWF isn't too concerned with a lot of things that seem obvious (Western Black Rhino is now extinct) so why would a corp?

Quoting lenashark:

There are lots of circuses without animals and lots of circuses that treat their animals humanely, we go to those ones. Otherwise we don't go. My kids aren't going to have fun at another living things expense.

katiebug840204
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this
We would go! Never been before.
lenashark
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Which is why I do my research and develop relations with people who actually work in the circus.

Quoting Singlefornow:

corporations are not going to tell you they aren't humane as they are looking to turn a profit, even the WWF isn't too concerned with a lot of things that seem obvious (Western Black Rhino is now extinct) so why would a corp?

Quoting lenashark:

kayandjsmom
by Alecia on Mar. 11, 2014 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I've never been to any with animals, never taken my kids and never will. Others can go if they please.
taKENheart
by Flovely on Mar. 11, 2014 at 7:15 PM

I most likely wouldn't go either but I wouldn't say anything about other people going.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN