Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School nurses pissing me off, about to get the doctor involved.

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:39 PM
  • 18 Replies
My ds is 6 in kindergarten, he is type one diabetic, has been since he was 16 months old. Two years ago he was put on a pump. The pump takes into account what his blood sugar is, however much insulin is in his system, and how many carbohydrates he has eaten to determine how much insulin he needs. If he is lower then the target blood sugar still has insulin in his system and has eaten something his pump will automatically decrease the amount he will receive, if he received any at all. You are not supposed to check his blood sugar after he has eaten because the carbs are already raising his blood sugar so the reading will be false and you will be giving him more insulin then needed after entering in his carb intake.
The nurses have been checking him after breakfast when they could easily look at his pump summary to see what he was before I took him to school. They will cut his carbs and enter in a lower amount then he actually ate if they think he is too low and then wonder why he is going high. Low is below 70 and they will do it if he is below 120. When I talk with them because they are not following the doctors orders they get an attitude with me and basically tell me they are nurses they know better and that I don't know what I am talking about. The teachers do not tell the nurses when the class has a snack which doesn't help either. He is constantly yoyoing at school and unambiguous constantly getting phone calls home because of how high or low he has gone (like multiple times a day) but I never experience these problems at home on a regular basis. Yes he has gone low or high on me before but nothing like they experience on a daily basis. I have left a message for his doctor to call me and will be sitting down with the principle to let her know the steps I will be taking. I am also going to just have my kids eat breakfast at home, the only reason why they eat at school is because they like eating for with their friends and my daughter is in the early bird program.

Sorry for any mistakes I am mobile and a little upset.
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Light.Shine
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:46 PM
2 moms liked this

I would definitely get his doctor involved!

thatgirl70
by Carin on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Definitely get the doctor involved. Does he have a 504 plan (I'm not too familiar with how those work, my son has an IEP, but I think the 504 addresses more the medical side of things?)?

goodnightmama
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:14 PM
He does have one. The doctor faxed over specific plans on what they should do that we all (doctor invluded) had to sign. It states the steps they are to follow if he is low or high when they should call me. (which is if he is under 40, blood sugar won't go up after multiple attempts, if he is above 400 twice in a row or if his blood sugar will not go down after multiple attempts) it also states when to check his blood sugar and how to enter all information on his pump correctly.

Quoting thatgirl70:

Definitely get the doctor involved. Does he have a 504 plan (I'm not too familiar with how those work, my son has an IEP, but I think the 504 addresses more the medical side of things?)?

Light.Shine
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I won't even pretend to let on like I understand any of the medical side of things but if the school is not following his 504 then I would go above them to the school board.  I have had other issues with our schools and spoke to the Administration on several occasions and got nowhere.  Once I brought the issue to the school board, the problems were fixed promptly.  

Quoting goodnightmama: He does have one. The doctor faxed over specific plans on what they should do that we all (doctor invluded) had to sign. It states the steps they are to follow if he is low or high when they should call me. (which is if he is under 40, blood sugar won't go up after multiple attempts, if he is above 400 twice in a row or if his blood sugar will not go down after multiple attempts) it also states when to check his blood sugar and how to enter all information on his pump correctly.
Quoting thatgirl70:

goodnightmama
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:43 PM
School Board as in principle or higher?

Quoting Light.Shine:

I won't even pretend to let on like I understand any of the medical side of things but if the school is not following his 504 then I would go above them to the school board.  I have had other issues with our schools and spoke to the Administration on several occasions and got nowhere.  Once I brought the issue to the school board, the problems were fixed promptly.  

Quoting goodnightmama: He does have one. The doctor faxed over specific plans on what they should do that we all (doctor invluded) had to sign. It states the steps they are to follow if he is low or high when they should call me. (which is if he is under 40, blood sugar won't go up after multiple attempts, if he is above 400 twice in a row or if his blood sugar will not go down after multiple attempts) it also states when to check his blood sugar and how to enter all information on his pump correctly.

Quoting thatgirl70:

Arahcelys
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:50 PM
If the teachers and nurses are not doing what they should be doing, I would be pulling him out, and discussing with the superintendent and other administrators what is going on. Leaving him in theirhands could be dangerous to his health.

mamakin616
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:56 PM
I would call your doctor..I have also had problems with a school nurse..My daughter has had severe eczema since around 4 months old..She will break out in bright red rashes and when she itches it bleeds and will scab over..She started school last year and the school was given her medical history and her prescribes lotions...she also has asthma and has meds for that which the school has.I got a call one day telling me Ineed to come and pick her up because wjile the nurse was doing head lice checks..she noticed my daughters arm was broke out..she said she cannot ride the bus home or return with out a doctors note because she has scabies...I was furious...Because this was not an emergency it took 2 days to get an appointment with her doctor....who was furious that this nurse could not tell the difference from an eczema break out and scabies...He gave us the note clearing my daughter for school and sent a scathing letter to the nurse...She had no business checking my child under her clothing..but she did because she saw her scratching...then she totally ignored the mediacl reports about her condition that were in the office and signed by Me,the Principal and the Docotr..which allowed the school to administer her lotions if needed.My daughter missed three days of school and I had to pay for a docotors visit that was totally unnecessary.The nurse has since been told that unless my daughter is vomiting,bleeding , has a high fever or needs her asthma meds she is not to bother her at all
Light.Shine
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Higher.

Quoting goodnightmama: School Board as in principle or higher?
Quoting Light.Shine:

Quoting thatgirl70:

WVMamaMia2Three
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:40 PM
Higher ~ board of education superintendent
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom-does-hair
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:44 PM
So they check his sugar after he has eaten? C'mon! I'm not a nurse and I know better than that! I'd talk to the principle or higher if need be. These people are not the brightest.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)