Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever had to deal with a really BAD doctor?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:12 PM
  • 11 Replies

I kicked a bookcase and really hurt my toe, but I figured it would get better in a couple of days. When it didn't get better, I decided to see my doctor to see if it's broken but my doc was out sick so I had to see his sub. The sub looked at my foot, said, "It's just bruised. Ice, elevate, and take these" and handed me an Rx and sent me on my way, no X-rays or anything. I thought that odd but thanked him. 2 days later, it still wasn't any better, the bruising was darker, and part of my toe felt tingly, so I went back to the doctor. My doc was there, took one look and said, "How did you break your toe?" and ordered me to X-rays to confirm that it's broken in two places! I've got a lovely taped-up foot now and a very poor opinion of his sub, lol.

What about you? Have you ever had to deal with a bad doctor?

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaineMammax2
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:17 PM
Yes! Our primary care was the worst. He ended up being fired for unethical behavior, the list was a mile long! One of the worst cases was when he prescribe me a med and I asked if it was safe to use while breast feeding. He rolled his eyes and said now I had to make him work because he had to look it up! He then asked me how old my daughter was and asked me how long was I going to let "that" go on, because she was 14 months old!!
Arahcelys
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:53 PM
Only once. Went for a full physical when I was 14, the doctor flat out told me, my mom, and my sister we were fat. I told him he was an asshole and left. I could hear my mom screaming at him about his behavior from the office lobby. Lol

welovec
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:57 PM
Oh yea, when first moved 2000 miles with my boyfriend. I was having a lot of health problems from gallstones and shingles, well then I found put I was pregnant, well the first Dr I seen went on and on about how I need to get a job because children aren't cheap, and he is a Dr and him and his wife have a hard time bla bla. Mind you when all this was happening I was being hospitalized every few weeks, but my boyfriend (husband now lol) worked full time and made more than enough money for the two of us.
Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:05 PM
Yep. Ds's appendix ruptured when he was 3. His doctor kept him in the hospital 3 days on jello and iv antibiotics telling me he just had a gastrointestinal virus. I moved him to another hospital the night of the third day and the new hospital did a ct scan the not the fourth day but the morning of the fifth and had him in emergency surgery. His appendix was in two separate pieces. Stomach and intestines had shut down and everything was backing up into his stomach. The fifth night he was running a temp of 106° which triggered the doc running a ct scan. We were literally within minutes maybe hours at most of losing him. He had SEVERE peritonitis. Scariest moment of my life. His surgeons and doctors were amazed that he survived. Said most people don't make it for very long after a rupture. They estimated the rupture the first or second day into being in the hospital so. He came home a completely different kid. I reported the doctor and never went back.
MaddieLainesMom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:15 PM

I took my daughter into a new pedi when she was about 2. He was asking questions trying to get a basic medical history. My 2 yo DD was answering the questions for him. She was giving appropriate answers. As she said, "He was asking about me!" And so she answered. Anyway, the doctor had to leave the room and consult with a nurse because he was freaked out that he was having a conversation with a two year old. Needless to say, we did not make the trip back there.

withsecond
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:15 PM

My son had a doctor that sucked. He wasn't willing to listen to me about med changes for his ADHD and the fact that the side effects were bothering him. 

I changed doctors after that. 

PlaysAllDay
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:25 PM
Twice. The 1st time I had a dr tell me I had a sinus infection with a slight congestion caused from post nasal drip. 3 days later I was in the hospital because my "slight congestion" was actually viral pneumonia. The 2nd time I had nicu drs tell us my DD was in cardiac arrest and her heart was going to stop at any minute. For 2 hours we were lead to think she was being rushed for a pace maker. They didn't want to transfer her, they wanted to proceed there but her Her cardiologist Insisted she be transferred with the life squad. Once we got there her cardiologist confirmed she was never ever in that much danger and that they misread her echo and ekg.
xtwistedxlovex
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:33 PM

My latest, actually. He dismissed my digestive problems as "just don't eat the things that make you sick." That's practically everything - and anxiety and stress too, which I can't just avoid! When I complained of chronic fatigue and pain he said it's normal not to feel good. He told me I was depressed and tried to send me to a psychologist, though he quickly turned around when I mentioned my heart. He said my blood pressure is fine, contrary to what my cardiologist said and the fact that I black out and sometimes FAINT when standing. He finally caught on to my lung problems solely because I told him the cardio said I should ask him to refer me to a pulmonologist. He refused to refer me but did lung x-rays, said my lungs are in terrible condition, then later said it's just an asthma flare-up and will go into remission if I stay on my meds - which, by the way, he chastised me for missing a week's worth of because I called to ask for a refill and it wasn't granted, but I should have "raised hell" over it until I got the meds I didn't even know I was supposed to still be receiving. On and on. I'm looking for a new doctor.

I had a pretty bad doctor as a teen too. One example: he had me walk down some stairs and a long hallway to get to a peak flow machine. I was a bit winded and dizzy from the walk there but they had me do the test right away, then said because I was already dizzy and short of breath those symptoms didn't count. They decided I didn't have asthma after all, revoked all prescriptions, then did nothing to find out what could be causing my breathing problems. They just completely dropped it as if it wasn't an issue and left me to fend for myself.

MrsErdos2011
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:56 PM
Yes, about a year ago. I had decided not to vax when my son was 4 months old because he was having adverse reactions (high fevers [102-104 at 2-4 months old], inconsolable crying for more than 24 hours, refusal to nurse for more than 48 hours, et cetera). We moved when he was 18 months old and had to switch doctors. The doctor I choose kept pushing for me to get my son's 6 month shots and I kept refusing. At the last appointment my son ever had with this doctor, the doctor refused to let me leave until I agreed to getting at least 2 6 month shots and 1 18 month shot and he threatened to call dcfs and have me arrested for medical neglect, even though I had informed him of my son's reactions. I didn't have a cell phone so I couldn't call anyone, there was no phone in the room and all the other nurses and doctors had disappeared. Finally, I agreed because I just wanted to go home.

By the time we got home (roughly 10 minutes), my son had spiked a fever of 102 and was inconsolable. Within the first 24 hours his fever had gone up to 104, refused to eat, was inconsolable, and had a hot, hard knot on both thighs. I called the doctor and they told me it was normal and to keep alternating Motrin and Tylenol, even though I informed them it didn't even bring his fever down a tenth of a degree. I was again told it was perfectly normal.

Over the next 12 hours, my son's fever went up to 106.7 and started having labored breathing, in addition to the other symptoms. At this point we go to the er because both my husband and I are terrified of something worse happening. While in the er it is confirmed that my son's lungs are filling with fluid which is causing his labored breathing and his fever still doesn't come down.

At this point my son is given a shot of antibiotics, the er doc contacts my son's primary and he is admitted. He was in the hospital for 3 days and during those 3 days was receiving 3 different antibiotics. When my son's primary came to check him out the day before he was released he told me that my son had pneumonia and it couldn't possibly be a vaccine reaction because they are very rare and none of his patients had ever had a reaction; it just wasn't possible, even though he had been informed of prior reactions. When we were discharged, my son still had a little fluid in his lungs but was doing much, much better and was prescribed a fourth antibiotic to help clear up any fluid and 'infection' left.

We haven't been back to that doctor or practice and he hasn't had a vaccine since. It's been a little over a year and the sickest he's been was a cold that turned him into a mouth breather for a few days.
ljmom24
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:02 PM
When I was pregnant with my first we found out at 18 weeks he had a cleft lip and possible cleft palate. They sent us to the big fancy hospital for a more detailed u/s. After waking over after our scheduled appointment in walks a dr eating A sandwich. Ds must have had a feeling because he turned a$$ to dr after tech left. Well needless to say no clearer pictures but he told us don't worry we will turned your little monster into an angel. I was in shock dr left and I told dh get me out of here. Made it to the garage and lost it. Told my ob at next visit so I never had to go back there.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)