Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would you make your child go through unnecessary surgery just so kids wouldnt make fun of them?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:22 PM
  • 6 Replies
I feel bad for judging my friends decision on this because its not my place to, but I honestly think my friend is selfish. She has a 5 year old daughter who has rotated hips that make her feet turn in towards each other to where she is constantly falling down and you can tell just by looking at her feet that something is wrong. Her physical therapist wanted her to try these straps to retrain her so that she can remind herself to straighten out her feet when she walks and you can tell a major difference in her walk and even when she is just standing there. The down fall is that she has to wear them over her clothes and they wrap all the way up to her hips. Her mom refuses to let her wear them because she doesn't want her daughters friends and classmates to make fun of her because it would be socially damaging to her precious daughter! She said she is just going to let her daughter trip and fall all through her life until she is old enough to have surgery! What kind of parent is that?! What kind of mom would rather put her daughter through a major surgery that could have been prevented by making her wear the wraps? I am just curious what other people think and what would you do if you were in that situation?
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MrsApple
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Wow,that is SAD!I would NEVER keep my child from doing something that would help her physically,especially if surgery could be avoided!

Molimomma
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:26 PM

That is ridiculous. How us falling down all the time and/or walking funny not any less humiliating than wearing the braces?! My niece had to wear braces below the knee on both legs for about a year but it was in kindergarten. I don't think she even remembers it and nobody teased her. When they made them they let her pick the strap color and she even got to pick what the plastic part would look like so hers had butterflies. There are so many things that can go wrong with surgery I would go for the least invasive way possible.

Rylan2009
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:31 PM
I think its crazy too. Glad I'm not the only one. I even told her that if that was my son I would make him wear the straps. Who cares what the other kids think if it helps them like its supposed to it served its purpose and that's the main concern.
momma2zac2006
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:33 PM
The straps aren't a guarantee that they would of fixed the problem. my niece has the same problem (how it sounds anyway). She will be getting the operation done I think it was at 10 my sister said. she used to wear braces but it didn't help. there could be more to the problem. now I'm not saying she shouldn't make her wear them. like glasses kids would get used to them and see them every day it would be a whatever thing. I think she should give the wraps a chance anything to try and prevent surgery.
BarefootCuntesa
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this
In all actuality it (the brace) is probably training the BoNES. The doctors are probably trying to correct the way the femur is sitting in the hip socket. Maybe your friend didn't understand the intent was to correct the problem, not train her daughter to walk a certain way, though that would be an obvious sign it is working.
Senile-felines
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this
This falls hard on my feelings; I have an exterior birth defect, I have a family member with polio, one of my boss has a completely burned face and upper body. We are all amazing and we got through our lives, WITH the help of braces, wraps, special shoes and our parents...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN