Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My younger kids are 7 and 6.  During spring break I let them stay up til around 930.  At 930 I would put a movie on in their room and they end up falling asleep.  I ddont see that being to early but idk.  I work and wake up a 445AM.  The kids dont wake up as their sister (older) watches them so they can sleep in til when they want...but it usualy only til around 730ish.

So I was talking with this lady who has kids who are 7 and 9.  She said she goes to bed around 1130 and she lets her kids stay up til 2-3AM even on weekends.  I dont think my kids would make it if they tried.  But is this normal?  She has done this for about two years now.

DIStickers.com Ticker

by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:06 AM
Replies (11-20):
TiffanyMarie80
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 5:22 PM
Strict? No.
My kids are 7,5, and 2 weeks from 3 years old, and bedtime is 7-8pm (start bedtime routine at 7, youngest to oldest, by 8 at the latest all are in bed, by 8:30 at the latest all are asleep). During the summer and on vacations, we add an hour for good behavior ;) all 3 kids wake up around 7am, and the youngest still takes a 2 hour nap - sleep is too important, and we don't mess around lol.
ljmom24
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 7:45 PM
We don't have a bedtime on weekends. I have been known to keep my 5 year old up as late as possible to avoid the 6:30 am Weekend morning wake up. My oldest, 10, can sleep downstairs as long as we have nothing next day on either Friday or Saturday night but not both. He will stay up past 2am but if he did it all
Weekend he'd be a mess. On weekdays it's 9pm or I'll never get him up for school.
donnag013
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:15 PM

No. My ex does this and it makes it incredibly hard to get back into a routine. YOU are being a fabulous parent.

RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:17 PM
Mine are 8 & 5, and I think 11 is the latest they have ever stayed up. Typically 8:30 is bedtime.
LnAsMommy
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Nope you aren't strict at all. My kids are in bed by 8pm on week nights, 9 pm (@ the latest on weekends) if my son doesn't get enough sleep he is an emotional wreck and can hardly function so I make sure he is on a good sleeping schedule.

I personally wouldn't let me kids stay up later than me. They would get in too much trouble!

Do what works for you!
lovely_mother_2
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:03 AM
Your not to strict. On a regular basis my son goes to sleep between 8:30-9:30 everyday and he wakes up around 7:30-8:00am. He also takes a nap around 12:30 to prevent a sour attitude throughout the day. It works for us
xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Sleep is important. A consistent sleep schedule results in better quality of sleep. My 7yo goes to bed at 7:30, even on weekends and during breaks.

DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:06 AM

At that age my kids were in bed by 8 sharp. No you aren't too strict.

I would never let my kids stay up that late at 7 and 9. Hell my 17 year old daughter has a 10pm bedtime on school nights. 

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:07 AM
You're far more lenient than I am, and I think of myself as pretty relaxed
DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:11 AM
You are not to strict. I prob am lol. My kids all go to bed at yheir bed times break or no break. My 12 yr old is in bed at 8, my 10 yr old 730 my 7 yr old 745 - 8. He shares a room with the 12 yr old so they cant go to bed at same time cuz they play. My 17yr old goes to bed at 9 & sometimes earlier if she is tired.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)