Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

(piag) Would you be okay with a used engagement ring?

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:53 PM
  • 15 Replies

My sister called me yesterday excited that she and her boyfriend of 2yrs are finally engaged. Today she came over to show me the ring and she said it was originally given to his ex-girlfriend when he'd proposed to her and she'd worn it 2mos before giving it back to him when she dumped him. She found that out from the ex when she ran into her this morning on her way to work and I get why it's upsetting to her but I also think she should focus on the man and the meaning behind the ring more than on the ring itself.

What do you think? Would you be okay with a used engagement ring, either that was worn by a previous girlfriend or came from a pawn shop or something?

Some beach, somewhere
There's a big umbrella casting shade over an empty chair...

by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
withsecond
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

If it was a family ring I would have no problem with it but if that's the ring that he picked out for another woman, I'd have a problem with that. 

sjenkins8208
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:57 PM
If it were a family ring, no. Pawn shop, no. If t was something my bf picked out for another woman, then yes I'd be upset. It has meaning to someone else.
onethentwins
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Pawn shop yes, given to a previous gf? NO! The fool could have at least had the diamond reset. 

Why123
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:44 PM

The one time I actually got engaged, the ring was his mother's.  She was on her second marriage and the ring was from her first.

starreyedcutie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 4:10 PM
Family ring or a pawn shop id be ok with ...you dont regift jewleryyou gave to your ex. Thats just wrong.
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 4:14 PM
If the ring was specifically bought for the first fiancee, yes, I would have a problem. At the very least, I would insist on a new setting if getting a new ring is out of the question.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermom.sv
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 6:49 PM

This.

Quoting sjenkins8208: If it were a family ring, no. Pawn shop, no. If t was something my bf picked out for another woman, then yes I'd be upset. It has meaning to someone else.

melaniecerise
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 6:52 PM

It would bother me if he had given it to a previous girlfriend only because he specifically picked out that ring for her, then the relationship went south. He didn't pick the ring out for his current fiance. However, my ring set came from my step mother. It was given to her by her ex husband, however she never wore it and it is exactly the same style that I was looking at. It was free. Never worn. 

Lavie74
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 7:32 PM

I wouldn't mind if the engagement ring was used but it being his ex's ring...yeah that would upset me. Just because I wouldn't want to be reminded of his past every time I put on a ring to represent our love.

ljmom24
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 7:40 PM
I'd have no issue with a family ring provided I was the first girl he gave it to (I've known men to grandma's ring more then once) pawn shop would be ok as long as he picked it out for me but any ring he's already given to someone else would not be good. I mean beside being tacky I'm kind of superstitious so I don't want a ring from a failed engagement
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)