Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

First Time Mom at 47?

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:03 AM
  • 9 Replies
I am 47 considering in vitro fertilization to have a baby . Married. Both work. Comfortable but not rich. I had BPD for a short time and have some traits. Had 2 years of DBT. I always thought motherhood would be too overwhelming and that perhaps I could not be a good mother. Now they have an egg donor picked out and I don't know what's right. My therapist thinks I could be a great mom but it would make me more vulnerable -- any thoughts?
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MixedCooke
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I guess you are more established so maybe.
momof2girls220
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:40 AM
2 moms liked this
I think you're too old to have a child.
micksmom2
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:44 AM
2 moms liked this
If it's something that you really want, you should go for it. I adopted my oldest child when I was 38 and gave birth to my youngest when I was 41. The early years were exhausting, but it's been a fun, interesting life. I wouldn't change anything.
haleysmommy27
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I say to hell w ur age! As long as ur ready go for it! Every woman deserves the chance to be a mother. No other feeling like it in the world ♥
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ginn47
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 1:09 PM
I guess I should not have put my age. I was really wondering about how it is for moms w borderline traits--how you cope or if it's really hard...

Quoting momof2girls220: I think you're too old to have a child.
Ginn47
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 1:16 PM
I am in good shape physically but exhaustion tends to make me feel hostile and desperate for rest. How did you manage the exhaustion?
NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Ginn47: I am in good shape physically but exhaustion tends to make me feel hostile and desperate for rest. How did you manage the exhaustion?

I suggest that you keep working.  Its harder to be home 24/7 with a baby.  Take 6 weeks off and then go back to work.  Try to keep your schedule as normal as possible.  I am 41 and my husband is 43, we have a newborn.  We are in good shape so we can keep up physically but you never get a break when you are at home with the baby. 

Ginn47
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. I can see how it would be easy think it would be less tiring to stay home than juggle job plus baby, but then it would be nonstop as you said.
mamatink7
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

every woman deserves the chance to be a mama 

have fun 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN