Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

what do you do as a single mother of two young children when you have no babysitter?.

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 3:50 PM
  • 30 Replies
I have two children, boy and girl. I want to go back to work and save enough money up to finish college with a certificate and finish my associates degree before I'm 30. I am 26 now and their father is a bad influence on them and lives hours away. I am an over protective mom that doesn't want my family to criticize me because I need them for babysitting and they are just not qualified for it. Has anyone tried care.com and I dont have money for a nanny during nights when the most people are needed to work in a flexible schedule. Any other suggestions?. I forgot to add that FASFA is out of the question as far as finding money because I was overwhelmed and needed a break and also didn't have a stable residence. I used up all of my appeals. Both of my children are in a program and I don't want to take them out of it and put them in daycare but they get out if the program at 11:30am. I would only be able to work 2 1/2hours a day. Who do I think about getting?. Is their anyone left to sit?.
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cmjustice
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 3:56 PM
There are grants that will pay for (at least part of) your undergrad education and childcare while you attend school. I'd fill out a FAFSA and talk to a financial aid counselor at the school you plan on attending.
Singlefornow
by New Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to work during the day at my office job and then pick up my son and take him to a RN's home and spend the night in her home while she worked.  I would take both our kids to school in the morning and show up to my desk job.  It was a win win for both of us.  Any website that charges to post I dont agree with as you are already paying a premium for a good sitter.

NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 4:45 PM
Some colleges have on site daycare. You can look for that
funhappymom
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 7:39 AM

I'm sorry I don't have a lot to add, other than good for you for doing what is best for you and your kids.

elasmimi
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Yes, definitely check into this.

Quoting cmjustice: There are grants that will pay for (at least part of) your undergrad education and childcare while you attend school. I'd fill out a FAFSA and talk to a financial aid counselor at the school you plan on attending.

changewillcome
by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 8:11 PM
I forgot to mention that I lost my fasfa and financial aid because I was getting overwhelmed and I was moving alot and wasnt able to switch to online classes. I used up all of my appeals. The last time I went to school I took a biology class and A'ced the class but the other class the teacher was awful at helping students with a short time limit to get back to me. When my teacher finally gave back my graded paper it was a C grade; this was about 3 weeks into the class. Anyway, I will use the YWCA but I don't think they know of daycare providers that work after 5pm
Katt709
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I found my sitter through care.com. I love her. We pay 12 an hour (total) for 3 kids. Paid 10 for 2 kids.
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Mar. 20, 2014 at 8:14 PM

No advice..But kudos to you and hope you get to attend school to better your life....

DBone_Holmes
by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Internet classes?good luck

reche1978
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 8:17 PM

can you do some classes online?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)