Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Breast pumping.

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 8:47 AM
  • 5 Replies
I'm exclusively breast pumping for my 2 week old. How much milk is normal for 2 weeks. I get about 8 ounces total per pump and my daily total is usually almost 60 ounces per day. Is this too much?
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MrsErdos2011
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 8:50 AM
Normal pump output is .5 oz - 2 oz both sides combined, no matter the age of the child. Your milk changes to accommodate baby as needed so there is no need to increase the amount of milk baby gets as s/he gets older.

For more info, check out the breastfeeding moms group. There are quite a few moms that exclusively pump.
LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:03 AM

I agree! Welcome to CafeMom btw and Congratulations!

Quoting MrsErdos2011: Normal pump output is .5 oz - 2 oz both sides combined, no matter the age of the child. Your milk changes to accommodate baby as needed so there is no need to increase the amount of milk baby gets as s/he gets older. For more info, check out the breastfeeding moms group. There are quite a few moms that exclusively pump.

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 3:32 PM

I never could get anything when I pumped, so I can't tell you what's normal and what isn't.  Have you checked out the Breastfeeding Moms group to see what others say?

mmtosam06
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 3:37 PM

That is a great amount

funhappymom
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Can I ask why you are pumping? Just curious if there might be an issue that we could help you with.

As a PP said .5-2 oz is the normal output. You are still regulating your supply, so chances are you will see the output slowly decrease. Be sure you are pumping every two hours during the day and every 3 hours overnight. Otherwise your supply will drop or cease to exist.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)