Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Exhausted!!!! toddler advice plz

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 4:22 AM
  • 10 Replies
How do u get a toddler to sleep??! He's up ALMOST every night at least 2 hours, right now (approx 4:30 am) & has been up since around 1, I am so tired of being tired every day...any help??
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 4:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
etsmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 4:30 AM
1 mom liked this

If he is napping in the afternoon it could be setting him up for a late night break in his sleep. Also, I don't know if you all drink milk, but if he is awake at 1 am you might want to give him a cup of warmed lightly sweetened milk and he will go out like a light. It might be a growing thing that is keeping him up as well. When he does get up, make it very clear that it is bed time and go back to sleep. IT is hard, but they learn routine and if he can get you to stay up with him, he thinks it is normal. Good luck.

Trevorsmommy1
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 7:37 AM
Thanks!!
ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Tell him he doesn't have to sleep but has to stay in his room. I used a baby gate for a few weeks .
JoanahLee
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

You cant force anyone to fall asleep if their body is not ready for sleep, but people...even small children... can learn to be respectful of the fact that everyone else IS sleeping. 

Take anything dangerous out of his room, leave him some soft, quiet toys and a nightlight, put a baby gate up and praise and reward him in the morning if he stays in his room quietly all night. 

If he wakes you up by shouting over the gate or throwing things at the wall and screaming go into his room, pick him up, put him back on his bed tell him its time for sleeping, mommy loves you, little kiss and go back to bed. You don't have to let him run the house, even at night. 

Trevorsmommy1
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 4:06 PM
Thanks everyone! My mom told me today I used to do the same thing, sooo I guess I get a taste of what I put my mom through :) lol
mom_dl6
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

GREAT Advice here ;0)

Quoting etsmom:

If he is napping in the afternoon it could be setting him up for a late night break in his sleep. Also, I don't know if you all drink milk, but if he is awake at 1 am you might want to give him a cup of warmed lightly sweetened milk and he will go out like a light. It might be a growing thing that is keeping him up as well. When he does get up, make it very clear that it is bed time and go back to sleep. IT is hard, but they learn routine and if he can get you to stay up with him, he thinks it is normal. Good luck.

Trevorsmommy1
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 4:12 PM
I ll have to try it:)

Quoting mom_dl6:

GREAT Advice here ;0)

Quoting etsmom:

mom_dl6
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

That's all you can do Mom wink

Quoting Trevorsmommy1: I ll have to try it:)
Quoting mom_dl6:

GREAT Advice here ;0)

Quoting etsmom:

MixedCooke
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 4:25 PM
I'm sorry but my 6 yr old and my almost 4 yr old still take at least an hour nap in the afternoon and both sleep through the night until at least 6 and 7 am respectively. I'm all about schedules and routines though.
Trevorsmommy1
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 5:05 PM
wow that's great! Yea each child is different in their own way:) and maybe ds is just going through a growth spurt, I know that's how some children are, at least he's not yelling or anything, he's just not tired, but mom said I was the same way, so go figure ;)

Quoting MixedCooke: I'm sorry but my 6 yr old and my almost 4 yr old still take at least an hour nap in the afternoon and both sleep through the night until at least 6 and 7 am respectively. I'm all about schedules and routines though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN