Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

hydrogen breath test

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 9:41 AM
  • 8 Replies

My 8 year old son just had a hydrogen breath test and it came back positive. He had one last summer and it also came back positive and was put on anti-biotics for a month. Now it came back! I am so frustrated is this something he will have his whole life? I don't want him to do this test every time he has a belly ache. Any thing else i can do? Anyone been through this?

by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
cdb7519
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:07 PM

A few conditions can cause it to be positive. I would see if the doc can figure out what is causing it. One of the conditions has to do with not being able to tolerate lactose. Good luck. Hope he feels better quickly.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:42 PM

I have never heard of it.   I would definitely make sure the doctor is testing for whichever could cause it.

taKENheart
by Flovely on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:15 AM

Quoting frndlyfn:

I have never heard of it.   I would definitely make sure the doctor is testing for whichever could cause it.

irishluck112211
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 7:16 PM
He does not have milk products as he is lactose intolerant. They said to do a probiotic and on anti biotics for 28 days.

Quoting cdb7519:

A few conditions can cause it to be positive. I would see if the doc can figure out what is causing it. One of the conditions has to do with not being able to tolerate lactose. Good luck. Hope he feels better quickly.

cdb7519
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Well I hope the meds kick its ass.  It's no fun when your little one is sick.

Quoting irishluck112211: He does not have milk products as he is lactose intolerant. They said to do a probiotic and on anti biotics for 28 days.
Quoting cdb7519:

abt1019
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 7:44 PM

I read that as "hydrogen breast test".

I have a gluten intolerance. I test positive on hydrogen breath tests when I eat gluten (and oh man, what a tummy ache I get! so much bloating!). Maybe try cutting out gluten for a few months and see if he improves? 

irishluck112211
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 7:06 PM
Thanks me too!

Quoting cdb7519:

Well I hope the meds kick its ass.  It's no fun when your little one is sick.

Quoting irishluck112211: He does not have milk products as he is lactose intolerant. They said to do a probiotic and on anti biotics for 28 days.
Quoting cdb7519:

chaotic.mind
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 7:09 PM
I've never even heard of it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN