Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

grrrrr email scams are bad enough

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:51 PM
  • 58 Replies

We've all had the email from foreign countries that need us to deposit a few hundred dollars so the royal treasure can be transported and divided with us, am I right?

Today I just got a phone call using my real life name asking about a package that hadn't been delivered to me. This rang a warning bell in my mind because of the email scam going around where fedexx or UP-S or some other misspelling of a real company claims that they were unable to deliver a package so just click this link to set up delivery. So when the guy asked if I had been informed that they had tried to deliver a package but weren't able to but would now give me a chance to get it delivered, and that it is a cashier's check for 2 1/2 million dollars.  He asked me how I felt about this (which seems an odd question anyway) and I told him that I felt that he was unfortunately in the business of offering a scam and that he should be ashamed of himself. And I hung up. Shame on him and on those who do such things!!!

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Yup  I know a few who have fallen for this as well.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:57 PM

I was just so offended - he knew he was talking to a real live person and still tried to cheat me. I just googled phone scams and found this is not all that unusual.

Quoting frndlyfn:

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Another one that is popular in our region is someone will call saying your child is in jail in mexico and needs you to pay their bail.   The people who it happened to told the stranger that if said person is in jail, they can rot there  LOL.

Quoting Bmat:

I was just so offended - he knew he was talking to a real live person and still tried to cheat me. I just googled phone scams and found this is not all that unusual.

Quoting frndlyfn:

DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:03 PM
My hubbys parents got a call from mexico, claiming to be my hubby saying he was in trouble and needed bail money or he would never see them again. They tried calling oir dell phones and I guess they went straight to vm so they couldn't get either of us. So of course they paniced and caved tp the scam.
It was easy to do since we live out of state and rarely speak to them. Im still at awr they thought the guy was my hubby. They said that he sounded just like him and knew things that other people would not know just goes to show they are out there and one way or another they will get u.
DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:04 PM
Sorry typos :/
Bmat
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:04 PM

good

Quoting frndlyfn:

Another one that is popular in our region is someone will call saying your child is in jail in mexico and needs you to pay their bail.   The people who it happened to told the stranger that if said person is in jail, they can rot there  LOL.

Quoting Bmat:

Quoting frndlyfn:

3gr8tKids
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

several weeks back Id had an IRS scam call to my landline.

Wanted to give me a number to call because they had a question about a somethng on my return. I was like really? Thats interesting because I hadnt filed yet.. But go ahead and give me that number so I can turn it into the IRS fraud deptment...

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:05 PM

This is horrible!! Wow!

Quoting DallasCowboys81: My hubbys parents got a call from mexico, claiming to be my hubby saying he was in trouble and needed bail money or he would never see them again. They tried calling oir dell phones and I guess they went straight to vm so they couldn't get either of us. So of course they paniced and caved tp the scam. It was easy to do since we live out of state and rarely speak to them. Im still at awr they thought the guy was my hubby. They said that he sounded just like him and knew things that other people would not know just goes to show they are out there and one way or another they will get u.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Way to go!!

Quoting 3gr8tKids:

several weeks back Id had an IRS scam call to my landline.

Wanted to give me a number to call because they had a question about a somethng on my return. I was like really? Thats interesting because I hadnt filed yet.. But go ahead and give me that number so I can turn it into the IRS fraud deptment...

IamMex11
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Sad
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN