Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty training 101

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:12 PM
  • 19 Replies

DH and I have been trying to potty train our 2 year old son, nothing is working. He'll sit on the potty and he'll wear "big boy" undies for 7 hours or more and not go in them but he WONT use his potty. Any help

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jmaw89
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:13 PM
Let him pee outside!!
preemiemom45
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:15 PM
Maybe he's not ready yet?

For those 7 hours when he's wearing his big boy undies, how/when/where does he go to the bathroom? He can't possibly be holding it for 7 hours and if he is that's a bad sign and can't be healthy for him.
icefairie8312
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:15 PM

We have tried that. And he just won't go. 

Quoting jmaw89: Let him pee outside!!

Shaynas_Mommy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this
He's not ready. When a child is ready, they will use the toilet. 2 is still really young. I would keep the potty out still, but not make it a huge deal.
icefairie8312
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:18 PM

He don't and I've brought that up to his doc, and she never said anything about it. But as soon as I put a diaper back on him within 5 minutes he needs it changed. He'll be 3 in July 

Quoting preemiemom45: Maybe he's not ready yet? For those 7 hours when he's wearing his big boy undies, how/when/where does he go to the bathroom? He can't possibly be holding it for 7 hours and if he is that's a bad sign and can't be healthy for him.

fostermommy1
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:25 PM

We are going through the potty training right now with FD1 (2yo).  We have a seat on our toilet that has a kids seat built in, so she uses the "big girl potty".  And I'm not ashamed to say it, we bribe her.  1 M&M for sitting on the potty, another one if she pees, and if she actually poops on the toilet she gets 4 M&Ms.  Not to mention for going in the toilet she gets a potty sticker on her train chart.  So far the M&Ms have been most successful.  Good luck, it's not a journey we are enjoying.

jmaw89
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Hmm I got lucky I guess with dd. However I did use candy "bribes" which most people don't like. She was diaper free (and off bribes) by 26 months. DS is only four months but I'm hoping we get lucky again. Good luck to you and your son just try to keep it fun and consistent I suppose : )

Quoting icefairie8312:

We have tried that. And he just won't go. 

Quoting jmaw89: Let him pee outside!!

icefairie8312
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:59 PM

We have both potty set and the one that goes on the toilet, we have tried the candy and stickers, seems like everything we do won't work. 

Quoting fostermommy1:

We are going through the potty training right now with FD1 (2yo).  We have a seat on our toilet that has a kids seat built in, so she uses the "big girl potty".  And I'm not ashamed to say it, we bribe her.  1 M&M for sitting on the potty, another one if she pees, and if she actually poops on the toilet she gets 4 M&Ms.  Not to mention for going in the toilet she gets a potty sticker on her train chart.  So far the M&Ms have been most successful.  Good luck, it's not a journey we are enjoying.

chaotic.mind
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this
He's not ready.
Don't rush it, he'll train when he's ready.
fostermommy1
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like he really isn't ready. Maybe take a break and come back at it in a couple months.

Quoting icefairie8312:

We have both potty set and the one that goes on the toilet, we have tried the candy and stickers, seems like everything we do won't work. 

Quoting fostermommy1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)