Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much does your baby eat at a time, and are they sleeping through the night??

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:08 PM
  • 35 Replies

If I can get my 3 month old to eat more at a time, will he sleep longer at night??  He was 12lbs at his 2 month visit and he takes 4 oz at a time (formula fed).  He wakes up every two hours at night.  I'm wondering if I can up his feed amount if he'll sleep longer.  So how much does your baby eat at a time, and how long do they sleep at night??

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColoradoMom86
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:14 PM

BUMP!

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:16 PM

That sounds about right for this age.  DD was a mostly breastfed baby so she was waking up every 2 hours or so during the night.  You do not even want to think about adding rice cereal to his diet to make him sleep longer.  That is an old wives tale.   You can try feeding him a bit more but do not force him to finish the extra ounces.

Corkie-
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:28 PM
My 4 month old gets 3 1/2 ounces every 3 hours. As long as he wakes up around 11 or 12 to eat, he's out until 7am. If he doesn't wake up at 11 or 12 he wakes up anywhere from 2-4am.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColoradoMom86
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Well I read that at 11lbs, their metabolic rate allows them to not eat at night so I'm a little frustrated.  But I know it's not like a light comes on that says "you don't have to eat at night anymore" so I'm just waiting it out.  Very tired! 

ColoradoMom86
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Talon eats at 11, 1, 3, and 5 :(

Quoting Corkie-: My 4 month old gets 3 1/2 ounces every 3 hours. As long as he wakes up around 11 or 12 to eat, he's out until 7am. If he doesn't wake up at 11 or 12 he wakes up anywhere from 2-4am.

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:32 PM

My kids were/are breastfed.  They nursed every 2 hours for the first year.  Frequent waking is normal and wanted.  Lack of sleep is expected when we become moms.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Corkie-
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:34 PM
Every baby is different, it will happen. My twins didn't sleep through the night until 8 months. But they we're on a very strict eating schedule since they we're premature. Every 3 hours and on special formula until 15 months.

Quoting ColoradoMom86:

Well I read that at 11lbs, their metabolic rate allows them to not eat at night so I'm a little frustrated.  But I know it's not like a light comes on that says "you don't have to eat at night anymore" so I'm just waiting it out.  Very tired! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NHGal
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:34 PM
Waking to eat at that age is normal. I know how exhausting it is. Im still getting up once or twice a night with my 17 month old.
Rhodin
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:35 PM
Depends on the baby. DD4 started going longer stretches at a month and could sleep 6 hours at night at 3 months, but DD2 still wakes up in the middle of the night at least once a week. She doesn't ask to eat, but has quite a list to keep a parent occupied at 2 AM.
ColoradoMom86
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:37 PM

I know it's normal, but I read on what to expect that by 3-4 months you can expect them sleep for 5-6 hours stretches.  I know that doesn't mean every child will, but I'm doing it alone and I get up for work at 5am.  I'm just TIRED lol 

Quoting NHGal: Waking to eat at that age is normal. I know how exhausting it is. Im still getting up once or twice a night with my 17 month old.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)