Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

breastfeeding help

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 7:10 PM
  • 5 Replies

When I had my son almost 7 years ago I did breast feed however I was a stay at home mom and my milk dried up by 4 months if that. This pregnancy I am determined to feed at least one full year but i am hoping for closer to 2. What went wrong the first time around and how did you manage to pump at work. I teach so it is hard to pump every 2 hours. 

by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
cmjustice
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 7:19 PM
I was in law school when I BF my son, so it was hard to pump on a regular schedule. So I added in extra sessions and pumped consistently when I knew I could. I added in a session about two hours after he went to sleep for the evening and I nursed on one side and pumped on the other because I knew I'd have excess.

Breast feeding is supply and demand. Your body makes more milk depending on how often your breasts are stimulated. Have baby on the breast when you're home because it tends to be more effective for stimulating supply and you need to try to minimize time between pumping, as much as possible, to avoid drying up. I imagine your supply slowly diminished the first time because there wasn't enough going on to stimulate production effectively.
lilbabes210-111
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 7:20 PM
I am new to pumping at work also and its not easy. I try not to go more than four hours and when I'm home to pump after almost every feeding and every single night when baby is fed about two hours prior and won't wake for awhile. I also take fenugreek pills. I take more than recommended on bottle. Three pills three or four times a day can be found on amazon. As long as by the end of the day I have froze as much as he ate that day if not more I'm happy. Add up every little bit. I usually freeze 4oz bags. Have the person caring for your child not thaw milk until needed that way it doesn't get wasted. If you have any questions let me know. I've done a lot of researching and question asking. I breastfed my daughter but was lucky to not be working until she was done so in that aspect its my second go around.
jandj4
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:16 PM
Thank you ladies. Is there any birth control you can take while breast feeding that won't hurt your supply.
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 12:03 AM
Diaper count is true indicator of supply. Join the breastfeeding group.
miyahsmummy01
by New Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 2:22 AM
any birth control with very low to no hormones. i was on depo while breastfeeding. i didnt like it so then switched to nuvaring which I love. Also I heard good about the little anchor looking one that goes in your cervix. I can't think of the name.

Quoting jandj4: Thank you ladies. Is there any birth control you can take while breast feeding that won't hurt your supply.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)