Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Had your husband ever taken care of

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 12:53 AM
  • 50 Replies
1 mom liked this

a newborn before your children were born? My oldest was born in Bolivia and so,even though we both worked (rotating shifts)my hubby was never really ALONE with the baby because both our entire families lived there.

When we moved to the USA we were basically alone.And,so when Brian (my middle son) was born daddy had to take care of him when I was at work.I still giggle a little remembering the 15/20 calls I'd get....even my supervisor thought it was funny.Daddy freaked out everytime Brian cried....lol. Don't worry though,by the time Bryce came along daddy was just as good at it as mommy was.

So,do any of you like remembering when daddy was still "new and sort of scared" of the newborn?Or were your hubbies already used to being around babies?

(Eta.,we have always both worked-rotating shifts.When I'm not home he is,when he's not home I am...Now that the youngest will be 11 we could probably change it)

Thought for the day :

Women are angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible that way.

by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 12:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 12:54 AM

BUMP!

javamama89
by New Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 2:19 AM

I only have one 4 year old girl. I've been a SAHM since she was born, so he's never had to take care of her for long periods of time. He is like a typical new dad, though. He stumbles with everything he does for her...until he learns.  ;-) Even now he isn't with her all that much, so he doesn't get much practice helping her do things as she grows.

Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 2:26 AM
My ex was always really good with the kids, even as newborns. I was a SAHM though so he was never alone with them for long. The few things I remember were all pretty small. My daughter had allergies to cinnamon and oranges, nothing major but a little rash around her mouth. He could never remember that so he would give her orange juice and then call me a couple hours later because she had a rash.... well duh! Lol.

My fiance is funnier because he came into my kids lives when they were barely 1 and 2.5. He wasn't used to parenting and so i had to work with him a lot. He always was nice to them and had fun with them, but if they did something he would have me do the punishing. He's learned that you can't just be their friend. They are 4 and almost 6 now and they still have tons of fun with him (he's like a giant kid himself and he isn't afraid to act silly with them) but they also know they have to be respectful and listen to him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 2:38 AM

My dh had never even held a baby until our first was born but he was a natural. :-) Never had to be told how to hold her, changed all the diapers in the hospital, and was a pro at taking care of her. :-)

StreetsAhead
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 3:48 AM
Yep
We both have neices and nephews that we have looked after indivually by ourselves at some points
He has also been around his friends' babies a lot
whovianmum
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 4:35 AM

lol that's cute!My SO actually had more experience with babies than me,I'm an only child with only older cousins.He had cousins he had changed nappies on and all that sort of stuff though so he was a big help to me,I was so afraid of breaking DD lol he had to convince me they're actually pretty resilient and I wouldn't break her hip or something lifting her legs to wipe her bum LMAO!

iamnameless
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 4:41 AM
He had helped me take care of my cousin son as a newborn for the first few months. He actually spent more time with us than his parents. He really didn't do much with him other than hold him and he was always scared. When our babies were born he is always scared. We are having #4 soon and I am sure he will be scared again but not as much as he was with our first.
csxt99
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 4:44 AM

My husband had never been around kids until we got together, so no, he had never handled a baby before I had our daughter.

polkaspots
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 5:00 AM
He was pretty good with kids, but very nervous when the second child was born. Dd was already a year old when we started dating, so when ds was born he didn't have any real experience taking care of a newborn. He had cared for his nieces and nephews, but never for long periods of time by himself when they were newborns. He was better when our third was born, but he still didn't do things like baths or cut nails until the babies are older.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
want10more
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 5:12 AM

nah, my hubby even got up w/ me to breastfeed, he didn't wanna miss a second. he's still that way, even w/ the eldest, who's not even his technically. he's just a daddy guy i guess. but i'm not saying that to make your daddy guy less............. that's cute and endearing! it's ok if mommy is just a lil more comfy. and your daddyfeller sounds like a great daddyfeller!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)