Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What is manic depressive disorder?

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 6:01 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am looking to speak to women who have this disorder. I was LITTERALLY just diagnosed. Although apparently It has been in my medical chart for almost 10 years.. Go figure.. One of my past physicians noted he suspected me of having it..But never told me..Obviously it didn't do me any good over the last 10 years.

So please come tell me what I should know.. 

Links will be looked up..

Please keep the snarky critical negativity filledcomments to yourselves

by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 6:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Countess79
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 6:12 PM

BUMP!

Countess79
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Quoting Countess79:

BUMP!

Lund77
by New Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 6:36 PM

I personally don't have it but know those who do. It's extreme depression but can also have symptoms of bi polar where your either really really happy or your super depressed. Your never just good. You can have quick mood swings as well, good thing though its treatable I highly suggest doing medication AND counseling :-) medications can help repair any chemical imbalance and counseling can help if its not chemically related, past traumas can result in manic depressive disorder. 

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Apr. 6, 2014 at 5:58 AM
((Hugs))
I'm no help.
Gooberzilla
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 6:14 AM
Manic depressive disorder isn't a current diagnosis. Bipolar is the current diagnosis. Basically it means you get depressed and you get manic, usually in cycles. Mania means you get racing thoughts, lots of energy, tend to be reckless and not think about the consequences of your actions. In more serious forms you can get psychosis and delusions (ex: a friend was convinced he had figured out Revelations from the bible and it was all a code for when aliens would return to earth). More mild forms can take the form of obsessive thoughts and frantic activity or dangerous behavior such as reckless driving, shopping sprees or risky sex. Usually medication is necessary if the behaviors you have are interfering in your life. You CANNOT take anti depressants if you have bipolar because they will make you manic.
lillettemomma
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 6:28 AM
I am bipolar and I take antidepressants along with mood stabilizers..... until I got pregnant I was on 4 psych meds to balance the chemicals in my brain.....I have cycles of severe depression and cycles of mania that manifest in kind of a high almost..... I don't do reckless things or anything like that more like I have energy to get a million things done but it also leads to bad anxiety.....

Quoting Gooberzilla: Manic depressive disorder isn't a current diagnosis. Bipolar is the current diagnosis. Basically it means you get depressed and you get manic, usually in cycles. Mania means you get racing thoughts, lots of energy, tend to be reckless and not think about the consequences of your actions. In more serious forms you can get psychosis and delusions (ex: a friend was convinced he had figured out Revelations from the bible and it was all a code for when aliens would return to earth). More mild forms can take the form of obsessive thoughts and frantic activity or dangerous behavior such as reckless driving, shopping sprees or risky sex. Usually medication is necessary if the behaviors you have are interfering in your life. You CANNOT take anti depressants if you have bipolar because they will make you manic.
waytomanykids10
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 7:18 AM
I also take anti depressants. It took 3 different ones before we found one that works. I also take a mood stabilizer.

Quoting lillettemomma: I am bipolar and I take antidepressants along with mood stabilizers..... until I got pregnant I was on 4 psych meds to balance the chemicals in my brain.....I have cycles of severe depression and cycles of mania that manifest in kind of a high almost..... I don't do reckless things or anything like that more like I have energy to get a million things done but it also leads to bad anxiety.....

Quoting Gooberzilla: Manic depressive disorder isn't a current diagnosis. Bipolar is the current diagnosis. Basically it means you get depressed and you get manic, usually in cycles. Mania means you get racing thoughts, lots of energy, tend to be reckless and not think about the consequences of your actions. In more serious forms you can get psychosis and delusions (ex: a friend was convinced he had figured out Revelations from the bible and it was all a code for when aliens would return to earth). More mild forms can take the form of obsessive thoughts and frantic activity or dangerous behavior such as reckless driving, shopping sprees or risky sex. Usually medication is necessary if the behaviors you have are interfering in your life. You CANNOT take anti depressants if you have bipolar because they will make you manic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
funny_girl3
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 8:04 AM

My husband is bi-polar.  We've been married for 12 years.  With good management you can lead a happy and fulfilling life.  You might need meds to stabilize your moods, and you will need to see a therapist regularly to monitor your meds and moods.  Please, don't let them just give you meds and send you on your way.  One of the problems with mental health disorders and meds is that once you start taking the meds you may feel great, you may even feel like you are cured.  Then you will question whether you really need to take the meds.  A lot of people in treatment go off their meds, so regular monitoring is a very important step. 

Sometimes you might not realize that you are headed into a manic episode so it helps if you have someone close to you who can help you recognize it.  I sometimes have to tell my husband to go see his doctor when he's manic.  Or if he's depressed, though he usually is able to recognize depression, but I almost always see signs of it first. 

It took my husband years to find the right doctor and the right mix of meds, don't get discouraged.  Keep trying until you find a doctor you like who can bring some balance to your life.

Gooberzilla
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:28 AM
Sorry, I meant to say you can't take JUST an anti-depressant. My sister is bipolar and her first episode came about after taking Prozac for post-partum depression. She is now taking Abilify and Prozac at a lower dose. She also gets really bad anxiety and irritability even through her meds.

Quoting waytomanykids10: I also take anti depressants. It took 3 different ones before we found one that works. I also take a mood stabilizer.

Quoting lillettemomma: I am bipolar and I take antidepressants along with mood stabilizers..... until I got pregnant I was on 4 psych meds to balance the chemicals in my brain.....I have cycles of severe depression and cycles of mania that manifest in kind of a high almost..... I don't do reckless things or anything like that more like I have energy to get a million things done but it also leads to bad anxiety.....

ljmom24
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 6:32 AM
My sister is bi polar. One day she can be on top of the world and then next day it's the end of the world; however, the highs can be just as bad as the lows. It's tough on my niece who is 13. When she is up she tries to act like worlds greatest mom but on her downs it's like they don't exist. Even my mom avoids her on her ups as well as her downs.

Having depression you will have blah days and it maybe extended. If you have a good day you just feel "normal" for lack of a better word but with bipolar if not medicated often you flip flop between extremely up or down with no middle or at least that's how things are with my sister. She does takes medication but not the best at sticking with it. Same with counceling she will go for awhile and then stop. Bipolar is life long thing there is no quick fix. With depression it's not always a life time thing. Some people have depressed following a significant life event (death, birth, accident, job loss) but while they maybe at higher risk for relapsing many can go through life without another episode but being bipolar won't just pass even with theropy. It's a chemical imbalance. Medication helps moderate moods and theropy helps with coping technics.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)