Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

is this normal for a 13 month old...?

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:19 PM
  • 55 Replies
She can only say mama Dada uh-oh and hi. She only whispers hi. She did that before with each word when she first started saying it. She knows what, "are you hungry?" "Do you want to go to bed/take a nap?" "Do you want to take a bath?" All those mean but she doesn't really talk. She knows her dad is daddy and that I am mommy. She knows the dog is chicken. She knows when I say, "I'm gonna get ya!" That means I'm gonna chase her around the house so she turns around and runs. And she knows bye bye means I'm leaving and she waves and chases me and she know hi means I'm home so she waves and walks me to my room. But I feel like she isn't talking enough. I am worried but I feel like her knowing what stuff means makes it okay that she doesn't really talk. But I not really sure. What do you guys think?
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meagan517
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:24 PM
3 moms liked this
Totally normal! My twin boys are 21 months and only say about 5 words but know what everything means like you're saying. I wouldn't start worrying until she's 2
polkaspots
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this
The dog is chicken? You named your dog chicken?! That's an awesome name.
She might be speech delayed, but it's early to say that. The important thing is that she's understanding and progressing. My two year old is speech delayed, still not talking. He wasn't using as many words as your little one is at that age. Dd was only using a few words at that age as well, but she picked it up quickly. She's not speech delayed. If there's little to no progress over the next five months you should consider having your pediatrician have her hearing checked and having her evaluated. At this point I wouldn't be concerned though, because she's understanding and using words properly,
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zombie_Mombie
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:39 PM
Lmao chickens sisters name is cow XD

Okay good I wasn't sure! First time mom worries lmao. :D

Quoting polkaspots: The dog is chicken? You named your dog chicken?! That's an awesome name.
She might be speech delayed, but it's early to say that. The important thing is that she's understanding and progressing. My two year old is speech delayed, still not talking. He wasn't using as many words as your little one is at that age. Dd was only using a few words at that age as well, but she picked it up quickly. She's not speech delayed. If there's little to no progress over the next five months you should consider having your pediatrician have her hearing checked and having her evaluated. At this point I wouldn't be concerned though, because she's understanding and using words properly,
Zombie_Mombie
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:40 PM
Alright thank you!!! :D I'm just worried about everything lmao

Quoting meagan517: Totally normal! My twin boys are 21 months and only say about 5 words but know what everything means like you're saying. I wouldn't start worrying until she's 2
RADmomma
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd is 15 months & only says a handful of words... But she has an older sister who talks for her. I'm not worried. She understands what we say!
waytomanykids10
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:47 PM
My kids didn't start talking until they were 2-3 years old. Now they never shut up. People expect way to much. She is perfectly fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WILDCATGAL78
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter will be 14 months on Tuesday. The only clear words she says is "Mama". She talks a lot of baby talk but when you say things to her she will say it back with the same syllables just not clearly. For example, my babysitter has a child there named Becca and she will say "ca ca".

Zombie_Mombie
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:57 PM
She is the first baby I have ever been around so idk what to expect. I don't have any friends or family to ask. I was just worried. I have no idea what to expect out of her.

Quoting waytomanykids10: My kids didn't start talking until they were 2-3 years old. Now they never shut up. People expect way to much. She is perfectly fine.
Mishy2
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I think she is fine, she understands what you are saying and she does say some words so I would not worry too much about it. :)

polkaspots
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Those are strange names for a dog, but I like them.

Quoting Zombie_Mombie: Lmao chickens sisters name is cow XD

Okay good I wasn't sure! First time mom worries lmao. :D

Quoting polkaspots: The dog is chicken? You named your dog chicken?! That's an awesome name.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN