Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Hi im snowflake!!!! Need some advice about breastfeeding and work without being judged

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:36 PM
  • 8 Replies

by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
crazy4u49033
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:37 PM
What is your question? :)
Reina13
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Hello and welcome. What can we help you with? Did you know the cafemom also has a Breastfeeding group? I'm sure they are pretty informed and you might get a lot of advice in that group too.

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Hi!  How old is your baby?

nikkirb
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 6:22 PM
When you breastfeed you normally just pump in the bathroom at work at the normal time that you would be feeding your baby, then bring that milk from the previous day to daycare. You could come in during your lunch break to feed your baby. Little advice though, get a good pump or 2. To save time you will want to pump them both at the same time. Also because you will normally want to bring at least 4 bottles to the daycare just in case they get extra thirsty they should always have a frozen bag of breast milk also. Get your baby used to being able to switch back and forth from breast to bottle early on because sometimes they will refuse the bottle, it will give daddy a chance to bond with your baby when giving them a bottle. It will fine mommy, and good luck. Oh and on the plus side, women who tend to have to pump a lot your body naturally starts to produce more milk so you may end up with a freezer full of breast milk!
UmiFujii
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 6:37 PM

I breastfed my babies while in the Army. I froze a lot of milk for the caregiver and pumped at work. I had no problem with this and it worked fine for me. I did not need much supplementation with formula. I think having a caregiver who is not against breastfeeding and giving frozen breast milk bottles to for later feedings was very important. It is also good to have a place at work so you can pump in comfort and privacy. Weekends (when not on missions) I breastfed as normal but always tried to pump a little extra for emergencies.

snigletmagoo320
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 6:48 PM

In our state (PA) nursing mothers have certain laws and rights that protect them while pumping at work. One of them is being given a private place (not a bathroom) to pump. Breastfeeding is so natural- it amazes me that people are offended when mothers pump or nurse in public. Keep doing it as long as you can. Its the best way to give your baby a good start in life!

shortyali
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Quoting nikkirb: When you breastfeed you normally just pump in the bathroom at work at the normal time that you would be feeding your baby, then bring that milk from the previous day to daycare.  Ewww. No!!!!  You don't have to pump in a bathroom. Federal law states if employer has at least 50 people on payroll they have to give you a place with a locked door that isn't a bathroom to pump in. You could come in during your lunch break to feed your baby. Little advice though, get a good pump or 2. To save time you will want to pump them both at the same time. Also because you will normally want to bring at least 4 bottles to the daycare just in case they get extra thirsty they should always have a frozen bag of breast milk also.  Again, no. Bottles are around 2.5-3 ozs given every 2.5-3 hours. For 8 hours away you want 8-10 ozs total. I wouldnt leave extra because that encourages over feeding. Go to kellymom.com and look up paced feeding. Get your baby used to being able to switch back and forth from breast to bottle early on because sometimes they will refuse the bottle, it will give daddy a chance to bond with your baby when giving them a bottle. No, no, no. Baby may take bottle fine before you go back then start refusing. DS2 did that. He took the 2 bottles offered before i went back with no issues, my first day back he refused them all together. Daddy can bond doing the fun stuff, bath time, burping, diaper changes and the like. Feeding doesnt equal bonding. It will fine mommy, and good luck. Oh and on the plus side, women who tend to have to pump a lot your body naturally starts to produce more milk so you may end up with a freezer full of breast milk!

I would post your questions in the breast feeding group on here. Tons of working moms in there, a few IBCLCs and a few nursing peds. Lots of accurate information in there. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Bump
Other ladies have given good advice.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN