Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

new member in need of serious advice about lice

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 1:25 PM
  • 16 Replies
Hi fellow moms. I am new here. I came in a hopes to get some real life advice about dealing with lice. I am at my wits end!! My daughter has had a reoccurring lice infestation more 2 months! We are on to our fifth treatment. I am doing everything, stripped bed, washing bed clothes and regular clothes in hot water, all the stuffed animals in the house have been bagged up since the very first occurance. Any advice, suggestions, tips would be very appreciated. I'm particularly interested in knowing if anyone has used ClearLice which is a product that I have found and read good things about but all on their own website so you never know if those are real. It is expensive but at this point I am hundreds of dollars in the hole so to spend $150 and know that it would work would be so worth while to me. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds. I am desperate!!!
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom-does-hair
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 1:32 PM
2 moms liked this
You have to wash the sheet every day for about 3 days. Comb the nits out of her hair. I don't have experience with products because my kids have never had it, but I am a hairdresser, so I deal with it quite a bit. I know Rid is about useless. They have built up a tolerance to it. Is there a friend who is twinge ting her or are you not cleaning everything? Carpets need to be vacuumed, vacuum furniture and curtains too! After you get rid of it, put a few drops of tea tree oil on her shampoo. Or lavender oil. They hate it(lice). Or, if you have an Ulta or a salon that carries Fairytales, they make a shampoo that prevents infestations. I think it's lavender. Pillows and stuffed animals, put in a dryer on high heat or freeze them. The live ones are easy to kill, it's the nits that are resilient, so gotta get those suckers out of her hair.
tracey012959
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 1:54 PM

There is nothing I can tell you that you're not already doing. I would suggest you see a dermatologist, though. When my kids were young we had an issues with scabies I thought would kill us all. I washed everything in my house - clean or dirty - about 4 times. Cost me a small fortune. Finally went to dermatologist who gave me a script for something for us a to wash with, and gave me a script for xanax, lol. I think he could see I was about to commit hairy-cary. So that's my suggestion - go see a dermatologist. They know things we don't! Good luck!

JBirecki
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 1:59 PM

How old is yur daughter? If she's in daycare, preschool or regular school it could be someone there has it and isn't being treated properly. Otherwise there is plenty of good advice here (though I didn't know Rid is now useless, I'll have to file that information for when my son is older and might get them).

ElaineSWilson
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 11:55 PM
My daughter has had it twice and myself once. I called a company and they came out and 'de-liced' our heads. They dont leave till nothing is on the comb. Theyre called lice happens. Theyre semi pricey but to me worth it. Both times were seperate occurances. They educate you the entire time. I believe they have areferral program. Message me if you want. Good luck!
MommyJill87
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 11:59 PM
My girls have had it. I used rid, sometimes twice daily. I lice combed their hair every other day for MONTHS. Wash and spray EVERYTHING , I smothered their heads in olive oil over night with shower caps, at least three times. Ever since then I use a live resistant leave in conditioner. If they itch I check their heads. I'm paranoid. I have 4 girls now.
needadvice1983
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:55 AM
We fought lice for MONTHS! Then I came across a blog that sounds a little extreme but here me out because it worked! You put Original Listerine (the gold bottle) on the hair for two hours (put a shower cap on it). Then wash the hair. This kills the live bugs. Then put white vinegar on for an hour. This dissolves the nit glue. Wash the hair again and then use a live comb to go through the hair and get any nits or dead bugs that didn't wash out. It smells awful, but let me tell you we have not had any lice in over a month! It totally eradicated them. It does leave the scalp dry and flaky, but I'd rather deal with that then lice. The listerine tingles a bit but it doesn't hurt or burn. Good luck. I was at the point of almost shaving my DDs head her infestation was so bad.
Greenstone920
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 11:02 AM

The best advice I can give you is to comb daily.  Don't use the Nix or whatever that crap is at walmart.  Is doesn't work.  Make sure you have a metal nit comb.  You don't have to use harsh chemicals - something simple like coconut oil with a few drops of tea tree oil, left on the hair for 30 minutes, works just fine.  You  just have to nit comb the hell out of it every day for at least a week, then every other day for a a week or so.  Other than that, wash all the bedding, and everything that comes in contact with her head on the hottest setting frequently.  Lice can live for up to two days off the head.   The eggs can't develop and hatch unless they're close to the scalp where it's nice and warm.  

elasmimi
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 11:07 AM

I agree with going to a dermatolgist, or at least your pediatrician. We had an issue at school, and luckily my child never got them, but I bought a peppermint spray that is supposed to prevent them and used it daily for a few weeks. I don't know if it helped or if she was just lucky, but it's something you might try if you ever get rid of them. Good luck.

Elizabeth1131
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Yes ....I work in a daycare and the owner invested in the largest shipment of Clearlice the company had at that time. It is amazing and sooooo worth the money!!! The laundry additive works wonders and it doesn't smell bad at all ...best of all its not harsh chemicals! I HIGHLY recommend it.

I hope this helps and you get rid of the pests....and tell your daughter to let anyone who might make fun of her that lice like clean hair and healthy blood so there is nothing wrong with her getting it and it certainly isn't her fault :)
musicaldoula
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:58 PM

I too have heard Rid is no longer effective. I wouldn't use it anyway because it's toxic - to your childl! I used a natural lice treatment from the healthfood store which contains tea tree oil, put the shower cap on (I think for an hour) per directions.

THE MOST IMPORTANT thing is removing the nits (eggs) which are firmly cemented to the hair folicle. If you don't get everyone of them, you're going to have live lice again.

Spray vinegar on the nit to loosen the cement. Personally I didn't find the nit comb as effective as my naked eye and a pair of tweezers. It's easier to see the nits in the sunlight.  I spent the money and bought a really good narrow tooth nit comb ( all nit combs are not made the same!), then I took my daugher outside and checked her head in the sunlight, sprayed the vinegar on, and slid the remaining nits off with a pair of tweezer

Not one single reoccurence I'm proud to say. Good luck!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN