Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Cell Phones and Kids

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 2:04 PM
  • 263 Replies
2 moms liked this

Hey,

What age should you get your kids a cell phone?

by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
agwill0928
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 2:13 PM
8 moms liked this
I think it just depends on circumstances and the maturity of the child. My oldest DD is 9 and has one, but mostly because my DH broke his phone and didn't have an upgrade, so we just added a new line. She takes it with her when she goes to spend the night with a friend, or down the street to a friends house, but that's about it. I have parental controls on it so she can't access the internet or the YouTube app.
nicbruuu
by New Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I was 9 when I first got mine but it was shared between my sister who was 12, and myself when my mom decided she was mature enough to babysit me. We had minute cards and were only to use it for contacting certain people or emergencies.
proudmommy690
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 2:15 PM
My kids aren't old enough yet for them. My oldest is 7 and has no use for one right now.
BIMOM21
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this
My DD has one. She was 8 or 9 when she first got one, for family, and in case of emergency. She's 10 now and uses it for friends, family, and reading.
auntangelofsix
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this
My son got his at 9 yr old he takes it to school with him and when he goes to friends to friends houses.
momof2girls220
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 2:44 PM
40 moms liked this
When they are old enough to pay for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LAXmom21
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 2:44 PM
I think mine were 10. They are 17 and almost 20 so I don't remember exactly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 2:45 PM
5 moms liked this
Mine can have one when they can pay for it themselves every month..that means they will be working and probably driving. They are 8&5.. I am a SAHM so they have no need for me as I take them everywhere they go.
erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 3:09 PM
2 moms liked this
My daughter will get one that only allows calls to 911 or her family as soon as she needs to be away from us.
SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 3:10 PM
2 moms liked this

My oldest got one when he was 10 because he rides his bike to and from school, taekwondo , friends homes and his volunteer job....my middle son will be 10 next month but he is not ready to be on his own anywhere yet so we will wait with him. It all depends on the kid IMO

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)