Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is it normal that my five year old wants to die? **UPDATE**

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 9:05 PM
  • 119 Replies

First of all I want to start by saying I havnt been on here in YEARS! :) Im Back.

Anyways, My now 5 1/2 year old Has been saying things like I want to die, I cant live this life anymore, Im ugly, Im Fat, Im Stupid, I hate myself.

Quick back story.

Her father and I have not been together since she was three. Since then He has had another baby and has become engaged to another woman. Who our daughter   seems to like she has a older daughter who is 14. My daughter talks about her all the time. Referring to her as her big sister.  We ( DD and I ) have moved about two and half hours from her father and she sees him on average about every other weekend and on school breaks. I am also recently engaged to an amazing man who she seems to love very much and DD2 is due to arrive at the end of this month.

I am concerned with her,  happiness. Shes seems to have adjusted well, we live in a great neighborhood with lots of children her age. She is also in Kindergarten. She was doing well up until a couple weeks ago. Her teacher sent a note home saying she is constantly having to remind Jazzlyn to stop talking and that she hasnt been focusing well and her teacher is concerned with her academic if she does not change.

We have been working with her at home on a reward program and spending more time on school work.

Back to the point, it worries me that she is saying these things. I dont understand where she is picking them up at. She dosnt hear it at our house.... unless her big sister is saying things at her fathers I cant imagine him saying those things either ( I called him tonight to talk about it, but he wasnt home)

Everytime she says these things she is mad, or in trouble. Today we went on a walk and she got upset and threw herlself into the middle of the street, and refused to get up. she then said I want to die. Her friend who was walking with us told me that Jazzlyn says that Alot. Any Advice would be great. I hope its just a temper tantrum and not a cry for help.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT

I talked to the school counselor today she said she will meet with my DD this week and call me and let me know how things go. The first thing my DD said to me this morning was Mommy, Im sorry. I asked how she feels when she says those things, she told me she feels angry. We are going to work on other ways of expressing our feelings in the meantime while we wait to get in with a therapist. I also talked to her teacher today about her behavior. She told me DD does not act out in class, but talks all the time. She said "Shes a social Butterfly" She got a note sent home with her today saying that DD needs to work on picking a good choice spot away from friends so she does not have the urge to talk to them all the time. Its a relief... honestly. Today shes happy and dancing and giggling. I hope I got Threw to her with our talk last night and our talk this morning. However I will still take her to talk to a professional.

I also talked to her father and he said she did not get it from the teenager, but believes that DD either heard it from someone else, TV or came up with it on her own.

Thanks for all the advice, and kind words, and prayers. :)

by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Have you talked to her doctor.  See what they tell you.

Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 9:24 PM
3 moms liked this
I would get her in therapy. Something must be going on or have happened for her to think this way. Good luck and hugs momma!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
skrbelly
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 9:24 PM
2 moms liked this
She could be just mimicking the 14 year old. My nephew is 6 and he repeats EVERYTHING his 12 year old sister says. Sometimes it is things like you mention. I just say, "really, you really HATE school?" Then I tell him all the great things he tells me about school and I say that he is his own person and he doesn't have to like the same things that she does. When she says these things, she is not really saying that she wants to die because she has no understanding of it. If she is self harming, or won't be redirected, talk to the teacher and/ counselor at school.
2girlsYES
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this
This makes me sad for her =(
Definitely bring this up to her pediatrician.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
debelly
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 9:28 PM

I have not. Im going to talk to the school conselor tomorrow morning, well try to. I feel bad but I honestly didnt think anything of it until her friend told me that she says it all the time.

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

Have you talked to her doctor.  See what they tell you.

dritchie
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 9:37 PM
5 moms liked this
It's not right for a 5 yr old to be so depressed. I would definitely start counseling right away. The doctor will recommend this. Poor baby. I bet this breaks your heart. I don't believe it's a tantrum.
crazy4u49033
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 9:38 PM
This is not normal and I would def talk with the school counseled and/or pedi ASAP.
danijean
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 9:40 PM
It is not normal at all, and it breaks my heart for her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 9:41 PM
Therapy with a quickness. Poor baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this
She is probably mimicking the teen... Does she generally seem unhappy?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)