Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Has any one let a foreign exchange student stay with them?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:57 AM
  • 3 Replies

Has any one let a foreign exchange student stay with them?

We are looking into it.  They have someone in mind that would get along with our oldest.  She is in the same activities as our oldest.  She is from Italy.  I have never done this.  Here is my worry.  We are not poor.  But we are def not well off. We get by.  I dont have alot of extra to just dish out when ever.  I know meals are provided by me which honestly is not a big deal since its only one extra to feed.  The company I spoke with says she would come with her own money for activity expenses, school expenses, so on.

Any bad experiences?  Good?  Thoughts?  My daughter is super excited.  This was her idea but I want to make sure its a good fit befor its official.

DIStickers.com Ticker

by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Why123
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:10 PM

I have never had a student live with me.  I've always been on the poor side.  My oldest daughter, however, spent her senior year in Brasil as an exchange student.  They moved to another family every 3 or 4 months.

Sarahb21
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:12 PM

We haven't but a family friend has had several stay with her and they have all become really close! The one girl is from Norway and she calls our friend, Mom. Her and her DH flew to Norway/Sweden last year to watch her graduate from high school and meet her entire family. Watching her relationship with her exchange students has made me possibly want to do it in the future.

mommyof3-2008
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:15 PM

thats really sweet

Quoting Sarahb21:

We haven't but a family friend has had several stay with her and they have all become really close! The one girl is from Norway and she calls our friend, Mom. Her and her DH flew to Norway/Sweden last year to watch her graduate from high school and meet her entire family. Watching her relationship with her exchange students has made me possibly want to do it in the future.

DIStickers.com Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)