Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

ADD advice please

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 6:40 PM
  • 28 Replies
My DD was officially diagnosed yesterday with ADD. We've known she has problems focusing but we were hoping to push through without meds. But at 10 and in danger of failing the 3rd grade, mainly because she's bad at focusing on doing the practice end of grade tests. So today was her first day on vyvanse. She seems better in her behavior, more mature but omg her mouth has not stopped. Now her older sisters and father have the gift of gab but she was always quiet and shy. Not sure if it has improved her schoolwork yet but my 16 y/o thinks this is a BAD side effect. Lmao.
So any advice on what to be looking for as far as what to expect on the meds or things I should be looking for as a sign to get her trying different meds is appreciated!
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 6:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RhiCreations
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:46 PM
No one? Maybe I should search the groups...
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:47 PM
My daughter was originally diagnosed with ADHD. We tried numerous meds with no good luck. Diet change was the biggest thing that helped far better than meds. Does she have an IEP? She can't fail if she has a reason for why she's doing badly. They can give her extra time on tests.
RhiCreations
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:09 AM
I have a conference with her teacher and the principle monday (she is being picked on and ostracized in class) so I'll have to do my research on IEP! Thank you for the advice!
ducabbage
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:14 AM
I have ADD and my step son has it as well. Talk to the teachers! Good communication with the teachers is a big thing. I haven't heard of the medication she is on, but there are so many out there nowadays.

As for getting her off the medication, structure is the biggest thing. She needs to have schedule and routine. Changes will happen and she might take a little to adjust but overall the routine is really good for helping her learn methods to cope and be able to get off meds. Everyone has different methods, but the structure is the biggest thing. I go without meds normally. Sometimes, with work or lots going on In life, I need the meds to help and I seek a doctors help, but it took years to figure out when I needed the help and when I didn't. Your daughter is about the same age I was when I started on medication myself.

As for knowing if medication is right or not, it's all your observations and opinions. Know that the medication won't be a total cure. It will HELP get focus NOT make her focus (SS's mom didn't understand that and as a result he was over medicated on the wrong meds). Recently we noticed that he was still having focusing problems through talking with his teachers and from what we saw at home. We increased his dosage and gave him a booster for homework and noticed that he was actually able to accomplish tasks and the teachers are noticing positive influences as well.

If you have any questions please feel free to pm me.
ljmom24
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:11 AM
My oldest is ADHD and he has the opposite reaction to the medication. Without it doesn't shut up snd he is into everything but on it he quiet. Communication with the school
Is important because her teacher has her for a large portion of the day so you need to know how she is acting in school. Is she focusing is she chatty now and is that causing new issues. Sometimes it takes time to get the right dose and right medication and also as she grows act gets older it will need adjustments and tweaks.
miamom20
by New Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:17 PM
IEP s are a great thing to have my daughter doesn't have ADD but with the IEP you get to explain your concerns and actually come up with plan that might help your child in school. You set goals and as they reach them you set new ones.
letstalk747
by Joy on Apr. 11, 2014 at 12:10 AM

come join this group , lots of support , just click on below

RhiCreations
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 7:07 AM
I dunno if it's because I'm mobile but I couldn't find anything to click.

Quoting letstalk747:

come join this group , lots of support , just click on below

Maladro
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:10 AM

My son was diagnosed last year, my husband and I were completely against medication, we just would not put our son on meds that when I researched on the internet and read the side effects and how the people taking them felt (I read blogs from people actually taking the meds) I got even more against meds.

We did a therapy called Neurofeedback, it work wonderfully for us, kids. Multivitamins and sometimes homeopathic remedies and structure.

for many reasons, we changed my son from school and held him back one year, I am just so glad we did, he is such a happy boy now and he is doing excellent in school and has that sense of achievement that he never had before when he was struggling with reading and school in general. He has excellent grades and loves his new school and I love and very grateful for change.

after several months of neurofeedback sessions his focus level has improved to almost normal level.

www.addittudemagazine.com

karen2112
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:38 AM

My dd is also ADD and hates taking the meds. What diet changes did you make?

Quoting jconney80: My daughter was originally diagnosed with ADHD. We tried numerous meds with no good luck. Diet change was the biggest thing that helped far better than meds. Does she have an IEP? She can't fail if she has a reason for why she's doing badly. They can give her extra time on tests.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)