Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
My DD was officially diagnosed yesterday with ADD. We've known she has problems focusing but we were hoping to push through without meds. But at 10 and in danger of failing the 3rd grade, mainly because she's bad at focusing on doing the practice end of grade tests. So today was her first day on vyvanse. She seems better in her behavior, more mature but omg her mouth has not stopped. Now her older sisters and father have the gift of gab but she was always quiet and shy. Not sure if it has improved her schoolwork yet but my 16 y/o thinks this is a BAD side effect. Lmao.
So any advice on what to be looking for as far as what to expect on the meds or things I should be looking for as a sign to get her trying different meds is appreciated!
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 6:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
MamiJaAyla
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 7:05 PM

#1 most important, unless the side effect is dire (life threatning or extrememe aggression or psychosis etc.) RIDE IT OUT.  OFten you'll see the side effects before the med actually starts working.

2. give it about 3 wks to a month.

3. DURING THAT TIME DO NOT GIVE WEEKEND BREAKS. (it needs time to build/body to adjust - yeah I know they say that its right away... BS not quite - although the side effects are)

When my kids were given meds I did try to make sure that they start them UNDER the dose so we can go up if needed but also for my comfort to know that I'm not over dosing.

MamiJaAyla
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes as other PP have mentioned cognitive therapy/behaviral help (and for the family as much or actually more than for the child) is a BIG help.  

Structure, Daily Checklists of what needs to be done (with rewards at end), everything is to be earned (so instead of you punishing, she just didn't earn it.) 

All of that doesn't help as much with inattention as it does with the other stuff (been there). 

You can't get an IEP just for ADD.  HOWEVER before they go and fail etc. the school should have been doing some sort of Rti (at least in most states).

You can go for a 504 with ADD and for SOME students with ADD (when their learning and/or behavior is impacted greatly) and IEP. (and yes you can fail with an IEP PP, an IEP does not mean the student isn't responsible for trying)

With either you can get accomodations such as extra time for tests etc. also preferential seating and other stuff.

On here there's a group for ADHD mom's and there's alot of links on diet, post on schools, meds etc.

PERSONALLY I also signed up for ADDitude (is a newletter - online) and ADD and how to deal and you can link to meds, side effects, and read that we aren't alone.  Not to mention ideas on dealing with things.

ilovemyson2002
by mom of 2 boys on Apr. 11, 2014 at 7:18 PM

my oldest is 11 will be 12 and he has adhd and odd and has a iep since he been 3 since he started school and been on and off meds since the age of 5 been on alot and they didnt work for him just made him worse then better  now going to get some stuff from some to hope fully help him to run on him   good luck  

bratthobbs
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

My son was diagnosed with ADHD last year. Its been a long year but we found a medicine that seems to be working for him. The first few that we tried had terrible side effects. From weight loss and trouble sleeping to crazy violent mood swings. He is taking Concerta 18 mg now and his grades have improved INCREDIBILY, he still has some issues at home but as far as school goes hes doing wonderfully.  He has an IEP at school as well which has proven to help.

Its key to keep up with his teachers, like some of the otehr have said COMMUNICATION is very important.  I'm still fairly new to dealing with ADHD but im doing research and learning more about it everyday.

funny_girl3
by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Didn't realize that was a side effect, but I can see how that would annoy her older sister, lol.  Our add story is similar to yours.  We've suspected our oldest son had it since he was preschool age, but we decided--with his doctor--not to get him evaluated until it started to effect his grades or performance at school.  He was officially diagnosed with add-inattentive about a year and a half ago, but his therapist felt that we should try to manage it with therapy first.  That didn't work so he started medication a few weeks ago, he's 11 and in 5th grade.  He immediately told me that he felt "normal".  I almost cried when he said that to me.  My son takes Concerta.  We have seen an immediate improvement in his concentration and other symptoms.  If your daughter is having a side effect that you don't like, I would suggest asking her doctor if you can try a different medication.  Not sure how that will work, since the medicine is a controlled substance, maybe you would have to turn in the leftover pills?

Miller0305
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 7:45 PM
My son was on Vyvanse for about 3 months and it made him very aggressive so we took him off. But with any medication it takes time to see if there's any positive or negative results.
RhiCreations
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this
This is day 3 on meds. Her talking has slacked off a bit. To me it feels like she was really more like my 16 y/o (who has always been a huge talker) and is finally feeling more like herself and making up for lost time. To me it seems like her brain is stimulated more and it's running out of her mouth. Lol

As far as failing, she'll have d's even if she doesn't bring them up the last 9 weeks. The big concern is the end of grade test. She is currently failing the pre-tests for it. Not because she's ''struggling'' but because she does not focus. I really feel like they are over testing her atm.

She also no longer wants to go to school but that is probably more because of being picked on.

Thank you all for the advice! Specially keeping up the meds over the weekend. I was just thinking a out that today.
letstalk747
by Joy on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:47 PM

maybe you cant see the siggy i put , you can search groups for -

Raising Kids with Special Needs

Quoting RhiCreations: I dunno if it's because I'm mobile but I couldn't find anything to click.
Quoting letstalk747:

come join this group , lots of support , just click on below

gspot
by Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:57 PM
IEP's are a big help. All of my sons have one. They can get extended test time and extra one on one help. They will have to be tested by the school and some schools dont want to give them, but talk to the school counciler and teachers. My boys are all high school now and main stream classes, but can still get the extra help if needed. As for the med question i have no advice. My hubbys ex says my ss is adhd ,but he is just a spoiled brat that needs dicipline. His moms doesnt dicipline him and we dont get to see him.
RhiCreations
by Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 2:41 PM
Thank you! I joined. I haven't been on cafemom for years and definitely not use to the mobile version.

Quoting letstalk747:

maybe you cant see the siggy i put , you can search groups for -

Raising Kids with Special Needs

Quoting RhiCreations: I dunno if it's because I'm mobile but I couldn't find anything to click.

Quoting letstalk747:

come join this group , lots of support , just click on below

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)