Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
My DD was officially diagnosed yesterday with ADD. We've known she has problems focusing but we were hoping to push through without meds. But at 10 and in danger of failing the 3rd grade, mainly because she's bad at focusing on doing the practice end of grade tests. So today was her first day on vyvanse. She seems better in her behavior, more mature but omg her mouth has not stopped. Now her older sisters and father have the gift of gab but she was always quiet and shy. Not sure if it has improved her schoolwork yet but my 16 y/o thinks this is a BAD side effect. Lmao.
So any advice on what to be looking for as far as what to expect on the meds or things I should be looking for as a sign to get her trying different meds is appreciated!
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 6:40 PM
Replies (21-28):
RhiCreations
by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 2:44 PM
Extra time and more one on one would be perfect for her. I'm going to see if they can send home these 3 weekly tests and let her and I work on them and let us put our eggs in one basket for the end of grade test.

Quoting gspot: IEP's are a big help. All of my sons have one. They can get extended test time and extra one on one help. They will have to be tested by the school and some schools dont want to give them, but talk to the school counciler and teachers. My boys are all high school now and main stream classes, but can still get the extra help if needed. As for the med question i have no advice. My hubbys ex says my ss is adhd ,but he is just a spoiled brat that needs dicipline. His moms doesnt dicipline him and we dont get to see him.
xxSkittlezxx
by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 11:56 PM
Have you talked to the dr about non stimulant drugs? If your going to stick with medication than it sounds like it might be a better option!
RhiCreations
by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 7:26 AM
Oh, I'm going to give this some time. We do see improvement after a few days. Her constant talking has let up some. My husband and oldest DD are big talkers, so I wouldn't be surprised if she is. Her tantrums have lessened, she is not constantly repeating herself (it was almost like a stutter), and she seemed a lot more focused here at home. The only thing negative I had to say about being on the medication so far was

Quoting xxSkittlezxx: Have you talked to the dr about non stimulant drugs? If your going to stick with medication than it sounds like it might be a better option!
RhiCreations
by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 7:27 AM
That she was talking none stop, but even then, it just felt like something had clicked and she suddenly had all these thoughts she wanted to share.
MamiJaAyla
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 12:32 PM

You do NOT need an IEP for extra time.  That can be done with a 504.  HOWEVER, because of her low grades I would insist on an evaluation and I would push them re: what Rti have they done.  They are responsible for having let it get to this point without doing something.

On my ds's 504 (his was more intense and ultimately ended up with an IEP) he had 1:1 testing with extended time and required breaks with movement for tests as well as redirection etc.  for classroom accomodations he had breaks for movement, preferential seating (I like that more than close proximity b/c 1. most good teachers move constantly and 2. for him best seating is in the BACK of the room), extended time for test AND assignments, long assigments broken up into short steps, ignore behaviors that are not "problematic" and praise for approximations of behavior.

he's ADHD Combined to the max.  After some time we've also begun an ATIP (technology plan b/c of his handwriting and difficulty with copying from the board - even by himself with no distractions it will take him over an hour to copy a short paragraph)

we also added extra time to study for spelling tests.  (his teacher at the end of last year suggested giving him the words the friday b/f so he has the weekend to study and can take the test with the rest of the class - he really CANNOT spell esp. when he's off)

also no penalizing for bad writing and transcriber for standarized writing tests.  He's responsible for the grammer but unless the focus is spelling is not to be penalized for phonetic spelling.  (I was also a bad speller, reversing letter combos etc. to the point that in the 90's in a private school my AP U.S. history teacher allowed me to have  spell check device - and this is back when NOONE got accomodations LOL) mind you I was a good writer and in advanced everything to do with literature but my spelling- ugh.

Quoting RhiCreations: Extra time and more one on one would be perfect for her. I'm going to see if they can send home these 3 weekly tests and let her and I work on them and let us put our eggs in one basket for the end of grade test.
Quoting gspot: IEP's are a big help. All of my sons have one. They can get extended test time and extra one on one help. They will have to be tested by the school and some schools dont want to give them, but talk to the school counciler and teachers. My boys are all high school now and main stream classes, but can still get the extra help if needed. As for the med question i have no advice. My hubbys ex says my ss is adhd ,but he is just a spoiled brat that needs dicipline. His moms doesnt dicipline him and we dont get to see him.

MamiJaAyla
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 12:34 PM

As a contrast my dd who tested inattentive (not sure still if she is or looking for attention) has a simpler 504

small group testing

extended time for tests

proximity seating away from distractions (i.e. window, other students etc.)

redirection to task during class and/or tests

frequent praise (b/c that will keep her motivated)

Anoronlight
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 12:53 PM
I have ADD, I was never on meds during school my mom didn't believe in it. However, knowing that you aren't to keen on the idea of it, have you consider a special kind of therapy? I was in a program called Discovery Therapy. It's program that works the left brain and right brain. I was exposed to it in school for three years and went from F's to honor roll. Mostly the program is taught in private schools but more and more people are offering it as a private therapy. You can get more info from the NILD website and you can use it to look up a private therapist too.

I won't lie, it can be expensive but it's worth every penny. If not that program try to find one that does left brain, right brain therapy. I do NOT recommend a program called Brain Highways, their a joke. There is a program called Brain Balance that we are looking into for our kiddos, that has the same philosophy as the NILD program.

Also AdvoCare has a drink called Spark, Texas tech did a study on it and found it helped with ADD in kids and adults. I use Spark myself and I notice a huge difference from when I'm on it and when I'm not. It's label an energy drink but it's more for mental focus and it has 21 vitamins in it. Something else to think about.
Anoronlight
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 12:58 PM
Oh yeah another thing you can try are essential oils. I'm not home right now, but I will be later tonight. If you need help finding all that info let me know, I know how to look it up and I can get you the links.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN