Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Seeking advice about kindergarden

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 3:57 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hello Moms!

My daughter is in a pre school and turns 3 on August 30th. Because of too many kids they are splitting her class up and any child who turns 3 before August 31st will be in the older kids room. 

I am just a little concerned because she will be one of the youngest in her class then. Her one teacher thinks she will be fine in the older child room but they were leaving up to my husband and I to decide. 

She knows her numbers and letters and a lot of other things that I think make her on the same page as her peers. Of course all parents think their kids are smart but I know my daughter is at least average if not above.

I just want to know what other moms did in this situation, because come kindergarden time she will either be the youngest or oldest depending on what year we start her.  I want her to be challenged but not fall behind as well.

Thanks for your advice!

*Alicia*

by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ELKmountain.mom
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 3:59 PM
I held my summer kids back. My son will be 8 in july and starts 2nd in the fall. My daughter is in prek 5 and will turn 6 in july before kinder.
Both my younger kids miss the cut off so they will not gave an option but to hold off. I feel great about that choice for the big kids.
AJsMom81507
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 3:59 PM

where do you live that Kindy kids start at 3.

most schools in the US you have to be 5 by their cut off date

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 8:15 AM

I held mine back too.

their bdays are end of august and early september

they started preschool in the fall they turned 4(in with 3-4 yr olds) and the  next year, with the 4-5 yr olds(they were 5)

when kdg rolled around they were both turning six within a few weeks of school starting

happymama2D
by Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this
It truly depends on your child. You have to decide if they are ready maturity wise, as well as academically. I struggled with the decision for my son and ultimately started him at age four in kindergarten (late September birthday) and it ended up being the right choice. He is currently in first grade and doing great. Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN