Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Single moms how do you do it?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:28 PM
  • 7 Replies

My ex husband and i have been seperated for amost two years. I have been struggling to get on my feet finding a job that is in my field because we married young and i was a stay at home mom. But what i want to know is how you did it? I have no help from my family or friends, the county i live in has a waiting list for daycare ssistance. Plus daycare is the same price as my rent and i just cant afford it. Any advice how to get on my feet? or how you did it?

I just completed an EMT-basic program but i cant find a job in my field and cant afford to volunteer.Everyone wants more experience. Only thing i have experience in is the food industry :(

Help, Advice?

by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MixedCooke
by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 3:16 AM

I made a lot of money working as a waitress/bartender.  Maybe you need to move somewhere else where there are openings in your desired field or find something temporary until you do.  Well we were in daycare and my mom worked multiple jobs, so we were often in the afterschool programs or involved in sports or cheerleading to keep us busy while she worked.  We were also home alone at a fairly young age about 8 yrs old. 

Zombienator9
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 4:20 AM
1 mom liked this

For Daycare, I used a family friend who was jobless so she was gracious on any money I gave her. 
Also some of the public schools have pre-school for cheap, cheaper then the daycares around for instance it was 90.00 for 2 full days at my sons daycare where it's 170.00 a month for him in full day all week pre-school...
I didn't get help from the state other then health insurance because health insurance would have been my whole paycheck. I saved EVERY LITTLE PENNY. I was smart about the portion of food I was buying, and what I was buying in general.  

It's tough but you will find your way.

funhappymom
by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 7:28 AM

I'm sorry, I'm not a single mom but here's a bump for you.

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:59 AM

CafeMom has some Member Resources you can check into. Also have you considered asking the school you went to to help with placement?

Check into the Single Moms group! I bet they have a ton of ideas for you!

CamJen
by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 9:37 AM
I'm a single mom the more you talk to people the more help you might find. As for your field of work I was an EMT for 15 yrs. talk to your local vollie squad let them know you need experience and let then know you are a single parent, most vollie squads are accommodating. Also look into non 9-1-1 squads, so you might have to do routine non emergency transports for a bit to get your foot in the door. Area hospitals will often hire EMTs to do CNA work as well, and some hospitals offer daycare to their employees. Best of luck to you!!
Mygirl30248
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 9:45 AM

That's hard if you have a waiting list for day care assistance. Maybe you could find someone who would watch your LO in their home for cheaper? 

For me I got assistance but had to spend two months figuring it out while I picked up a temp job. Then I picked up a part time (only sunday's) job at a gas station when my temp job ended I was able to pick up some shifts in the kitchen there too. I skated through those couple of months until I landed a permanent job. 

It's hard, it always has been. Now I'm at a job with less pay ($600 less a month!) but same bills BUT I'm 1/2 mile from home now & have more time with my daughter. My pay will go up here & I'm not spending a tank of gas to travel to work now so I will even out at some point but I'm struggling. 

Mygirl30248
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 9:47 AM

For now maybe you can do online stuff? Or Avon (something like it)? Stuff you can have your LO with you. Swagbucks is a bit of help, at least you can buy food/house supplies with the GC you will earn from them. There are many companies like Scentsy, Avon, Mary Kay, Thirty One, etc. that people make successful. My aunt has been doing Avon for almost 30 years now, no clue how much she makes but she does very well with it & makes a lot of money. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN