Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

At what age should girls start to cover up?

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:55 PM
  • 60 Replies

My cousin's girl is 9 and already starting to blossom, but she seems to hate wearing tops and is always running around without. Now, my girls were already used to covering up before they got to the point where they had breasts but my cousin has just let her girl do whatever, whenever. The problem is, they live in a neighborhood with lots and lots of boys and those boys are now starting to stop and stare and ask her if she's a girl and why she's topless. I've mentioned it to my cousin and she doesn't think it's a big deal, but she hasn't seen the way those boys are with her, or heard the things they've said, and she won't take my word for it.

Anyway, what age do you think a girl should start covering up and wearing tops in public?

by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:58 PM
4 moms liked this

birth

bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Why? There's nothing on top to cover at birth?

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

birth

amberNewman0213
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:01 PM
My DD'S or sons have never gone around top less in public. However my DD age 3 runs around sometimes without a top at the house when no one is here. But we are getting out of that too.
EyEmTuRtLe
by Turtle on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:01 PM

As soon as girls start to show any signs of blooming. 

Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:07 PM
Well for me, I started young. My kids always wore clothes. My daughter is 4 and already wears undershirts, mostly because I do so she copies me.

By 9, she definitely should be covering up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marblesnuk
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't let my girls go outside without tops on after around the age of 3.

monkeydance
by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this
That girl needs to put a shirt on...like 4 years ago.
lovingmamaof2an
by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter is 14 months and I feel like it's already important for her to be covered up.. The only time I let her run around without clothes is if we're in the house for the day and not having any visitors.
KimmyShaw
by Ruby Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:21 PM

??? My DD has always wore clothing....

Mygirl30248
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:42 PM

My daughter is 6yo & at this point I am slightly uncomfortable with her being topless. Now we've always kept her to be clothed in public & in other people's yard (except grandparents etc don't care). Now that she is 6yo though she doesn't understand why boys can be topless & she can't. She will be able to be topless in our yard this year but nowhere else. 

Now when she gets older I'll allow sports bras in our yard (my sister went through this with one of her kids as well) but she does need to be covered appropriately for public & in our yard. Our backyard is not visable from the road so she would be fine to have a sports bra, possibly starting next summer even. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN