Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would you check your child out or let them skip school because...

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:38 PM
  • 497 Replies
1 mom liked this

... a pet has died?

Our dog is 16 and therefore has been with us for my daughter's entire existence (she's 14). She's sick and the vet told us she probably won't last another week. My daughter's really upset and reluctant to go to school every day because she's afraid Missy won't be alive when she gets home and she wants to tell her goodbye.

I told her to just make sure to give Missy hugs and tell her she loves her and bye each day when she leaves for school, but my husband told her that if something happens, we'll come get her out of school, and that when she goes, DD can stay home from school the next day, too.

I'm not so sure that's a good idea?

Would you check your child out of school or let them miss a day because your pet died?

♥ ♥   I love to read. ♥ ♥

by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
knightmoon
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this
No
rissat79
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:48 PM
49 moms liked this
Yes. She is.apart of your family. I see no harm and picking g did up from school.
2under5.mom
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:53 PM
2 moms liked this
Absolutely not. I get that the dogs part if the family but seriously missing school over it?? Thats ridiculous in my opinion.
Tannaris
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:55 PM
3 moms liked this
No.

We lost a pet this year. Life continues on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
outtamymynd
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:56 PM
2 moms liked this
We didn't need to, but I would have. Our pet was around just about as long as our youngest. They become a huge part of the family if you let them :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IamMex11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:56 PM

yes.

ramita
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:57 PM
2 moms liked this
Considering its this late in the year I would if she had plenty of days left to miss. However if she was pushing her days I probably wouldn't.
KendallsMommee
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:58 PM
10 moms liked this
It really depends on how many days she's already missed and how well she's doing in school.

That would be how *I* decided..
alliericht
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:59 PM
7 moms liked this
My sons barely a month old but my mom pulled me out of school for 3 days when my dog was sick. I think you should let her be with Missy I was grateful that I Got to spend time with my dog on her last few hours. If she misses it there's a possible problem of depression.
olliesmommy2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:59 PM
40 moms liked this
I absolutely would. Especially if the child's attendance and grades were good. It's tough losing a friend:-(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN